A Little Push

The head cold is slowly starting to retreat and I'm coming out of the fog of OTC medicines.  I still have a lingering need to constantly clear my throat and in the morning I am still needing to get stuff out of my lungs, but I am about 95% back to normal and that is a huge relief!
So that means I am going to set the alarm clock back at 4:15 am and get some sort of exercise in before the rest of the day begins. My sprained ankle is still swollen and hurts, but tolerable.  I think the downward dogs and low lunges were irritating it so maybe it's good I took a little break from the yoga the past couple weeks. 
I signed up for my work's holiday fitness challenge though, it's five weeks.  Each week I have to get 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise plus meet an additional goal.  The additional goals are things like keeping an appreciation journal, trying something new, and taking 5 minutes to myself each day.  Those are things I have been saying I want to do but haven't stuck to them, so this challenge will be a great boost in pushing me toward what I have been procrastinating on.  In the past, the holiday challenges have revolved around not gaining weight over the holidays, but I'm happy some of the focus this year is on the mental health aspect of fitness. Since yoga doesn't really count as cardiovascular exercise, I will most likely be doing the stationary bike, walking around inside and maybe sometimes dancing.  It sounds like fun from where I am right now, I'll see how fun it sounds at 4:15am.  Lol.  That challenge starts next Monday, Nov 18 and goes through Dec 22.  Game on!
This week, as sort of an experiment, I am giving up dairy.  I am the biggest cheese lover you ever met (and butter and I eat my fair share of yogurt too) so it is definitely a sacrifice.  Also, since I don't love meat, I am pretty much reliant on dairy as one of my main protein sources, so this week I had to get creative.  Here's how my food shakes out
Breakfast: 1 piece of whole grain toast with 1 whole avocado, 1 egg including yolk and 3 strips of vegetarian bacon
snack: Peanut butter
Lunch: Riced cauliflower with meatless chicken and brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper. (boo, no butter).
snack: Dried mullberries with sunflower kernels
Dinner: Meatless steak and edamame over riced cauliflower with soy sauce and black pepper
Bedtime snack: Vegan protein shake + a serving of macadamia nuts.

I had my lunch 2 and a half hours ago and my stomach is roaring hungry, that's how I can tell I'm eating cleaner than normal. 
I did some research on dairy and how our body's are not adapted to digest it.  I don't have any trouble digesting dairy but I do have a ton of sinus/post-nasal drip issues and I am doing this to see if it helps get rid of some of that.  I decided to give it a go for 1-2 weeks, depending on my resolve as it continues.  If I don't see a huge difference I'll start eating dairy again.  If it makes a difference I will decide how to proceed.  I have gone through phases of veganism in the past and it is just challenging to keep myself interested in food.  Everything has to be made or the pre-packaged stuff is so darn expensive.  So it's a probably more work than I want to put into my diet right now, but who knows how I'll feel in 2 weeks? 
So that's where I'm at right now.  I am slowly getting things back on track.  It feels familiar and uplifting to challenge myself to do these things, try living without dairy, try getting up early to workout, try focusing on good stuff for a little while every night.  Sometimes I need a little push and then everything goes smoothly.  Fingers crossed!

Comments

  1. The challenge sounds like a fabulous one! I tend to like and appreciate challenges that revolve more around stuff that is solely controlled by myself. Sure, food needs to be controlled during the holidays but we all know that we are probably going to skip a bit...so focus instead on something that is more easily attainable...the food tends to fall in line if the activity is in place. It’s crazy how that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MaryFran, you are right about the holidays. I do find the challenges motivating, but I'm usually looking forward to the finish line 3/4 of the way there. I do find my mind needs just as much work if not more where all this is concerned. The holidays stress me out and make me grouchy (more because I work in a field where it is our busiest time of the year) so the positive work on the mind will be much welcomed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts