My Little Inspiration

I've been in my head a lot today.  It didn't start off bad, I've even been getting a little extra sleep lately due to the kids being on spring break.  But I have been undertaking some major projects at work lately, which have meant a lot more standing and walking, which leaves me aching and sore.  This was day 2 of "monthly disaster" and while mentally I was in "get s#it done mode" my body was so sore and tired.  I still moved mountains but my hips, knee and lower back were feeling as stiff as stone.  All I kept dreaming about was getting home to a hot bath.  
I was sharing my tales of woe with two girls at work, whining about how everything aches and I'm always tired and I could feel a slight silence fall over us and I looked straight down at my ever-growing stomach and slapped it and proclaimed, "of course this thing isn't helping matters either!"  The girls chimed in agreeing that they need to lose weight too.  Because that's what we do, we're women.  
So tonight I spent a good amount of time with my younger son, he has such a tender heart and misses me terribly when I'm at work.  So I try to make up for it by giving him a ton of affection and attention.  We had a good time creating things with blocks and watching some videos of the fountains at Bellagio in Las Vegas.  My son is 10 and he put on a lot of weight pretty quickly.  He's been having a lot of back and ankle pain and I know he's getting teased at school and feeling low.  I suspect he's been using food to comfort.  I don't want to pass my bad habits onto him.  It makes me sad.  When I thought about my lunch of frozen French bread loaded with butter, garlic and cheese, and was thinking about having something completely nutrient-void dinner, I looked at my son and decided to eat a healthy dinner.  I had a hummus wrap loaded with veggies.  And when he went looking around for something to eat after his dinner, he finally settled on having a hummus wrap too.  And it solidified (again) that I need to be a good role model for him if he's going to turn things around.  I mentioned that he and I should get healthier before our move to California, so we can do whatever we feel like without pain.  He looked at me blankly.  It will take work on both our parts. I would never have believed my workout partner would be my 10 year old son, but maybe this is the start of an even greater adventure!

Comments

Popular Posts