Straightening my Crown

It must be Murphy's Law that every time I decide to try positivity I end up going into a firestorm and don't have the mental energy to be positive some days. I have mentioned my work situation is very stressful. It has gotten to the point where its affecting my sleep and I have been fantasizing about getting fired. My boss's boss, middle management (let's call her 'Karen') is insufferable. She makes a bunch of uneducated rash decisions that end up hurting our department, treats us like we are children and thieves, tries to spy on us by joining optician groups we are in on Facebook and asking staff what they are talking to each other about in private chats off the clock. she is sneaky and obviously insecure and the only time she has said a kind word to any of us is when corporate makes her. She gets really giddy right before she fires someone then pretends she is sad they "didn't work out" even though she spends weeks digging to find something they did wrong. No one will stand up to her or talk to her supervisor because they fear the retaliation and her supervisor is all buddy buddy with her so no one trust her to have our back. Beth oversees many departments and clearly has control and power issues. In short, she is heartless and cold and makes our lives miserable. Many of us have felt like our only recourse was to leave and find work elsewhere before she makes up a reason to fire us. I have known about a dishonest thing she did about a year ago but didn't speak up about it because I had a boss that buffered me from her until early October when Beth fired him. Then she promptly fired another optician 'Rachel' after digging up dirt on her. Last year Beth came to my optical pricing up glasses for her husband. We have a policy set in stone that employee spouses get a 30% discount off retail prices so that's what I quoted. Beth was actually part of the team that made the department policy on discounts. She then priced up glasses for herself and her husband at the site where Rachel works and asked her to see if the lab would make the lenses for free. Beth has been in the eye care field for a couple decades and has leached onto our business contacts, often asking for donations for corporate charity events from the man who owns the eyeglass lab where we have our lenses made. The lab has generously given ootical staff free lenses so we can try them because wearing and experiencing the differences between lens designs helps us better educate our customers and we get to showcase the frames we sell. Any staff in the eye department who are not opticians get a generous discount and those who don't work directly in the department get 30% off retail which should have been what Beth and her husband should get. So call it theft or a kickback, Beth did a bad thing and no one has said a peep. But! The two people who knew about it (to her knowledge) got fired in October. Coincidence? What's worse, and a true display of her lack of moral character Beth knew my boss wouldn't fire Rachel because she was reliable and has experience and is generally a good employee. So Beth fired my boss so that she could fire Rachel after my boss was gone. The reason she fired Rachel is because she gave people discounts they aren't supposed to have! So she asked Rachel to break policy for her own benefit then fired her for doing it! Beth knows I am fixing to leave the department (she even felt it fine to tell everyone and rumors spread quickly), but I don't think Beth knows that I knew about what she did. Beth quickly made 'policy' that our eyeglass order and billing system should be treated just like a HIPAA protected medical record and going into coworkers orders is grounds for termination. Corporate has a company tracking our use of medical charts and Beth claims they are also monitoring our eyeglass ordering system. Sounds like someone is trying to cover something up, no? Y whatesterday I gathered my courage and called our Corporate Compliance manager to report what she did. I can remain anonymous and there is a strict anti-retaliation policy in place. Our corporate legal department is in on every case opened. Beth's boss can't protect her and there is no explaining away why Beth knowingly and blatantly abused the policy. All of the opticians I told were in the highest of spirits. It reminds me of the end of the Wizard of Oz when the wicked witch gets what she's got coming to her and melts away! She has not been fired (yet) but I feel so proud of myself for finally standing up for myself and our team. If she doesn't get fired I will find a way to leave the department or the company. what become of her at this point will show the true character of my corporate body and if something that dishonest isn't enough to get someone fired, it's time for me to find a different path. I feel rejuvenation and light at the end of a strange dark tunnel and it will let the light spill all over other aspects of my life. Ahhh! Sigh, smile, straighten my crown and here I go out into a new day!

Comments

  1. I am so proud of you for standing up and going to corporate with your knowledge! You have to feel so awesome! Hopefully they investigate quickly and fire the evil witch so you can have peace and happiness at work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope it goes quickly as well or we will lose even more staff.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts