Sizing Things Up

This is the year that all of my pants are wearing out.  Am I the only one on a clothing cycle?  The jeans I take the dog outside in, my trusty work pants, even my comfy lounge pants have gone to the dogs.  Not literally.  But we are trying to save for a house someday so I went thrifting at Goodwill.  Is there anything more fun that finding a treasure that someone else didn't want but you totally rock it?  I have gotten lucky over the years and found some cute things to wear.  This time I was also keeping my eyes peeled for some extra shirts because I keep wearing the same couple shirts over and over and it's a little old.  So I grabbed gobs of clothes to try.  Some shirts were 1x, some were 2x.  I have blogged before about how I constantly seem to be between sizes.  Some 1X's squish and squeez, some barely go on, some are really clingy to the yucky lumps...most of the 2XLs look like oversized dresses on me, but not in a cute, wear-it-over-leggings kind of way.  Like shapeless and very unflattering.  UGH!!!  I just want a cute wardrobe, no matter my size. 
I knew this can't just be me.  When I started running out of room on the one little hook they give you in the changing room, I put some of my rejects on the floor. Then I noticed this:
These two shirts are both 1XL, there is a huge difference in size!  I couldn't get the black one on all the way and the pink one was too shapeless.

How the heck is anyone supposed to know what size they are when the clothing runs so different from brand to brand?!! I know whatever size the label says is pretty irrelavent overall, but man!  If I were simply looking for a black shirt and tried that on I might be completely devastated that the (perceived) massive size of EXTRA LARGE doesn't come close to fitting.  Alternatively, if I put the pink shirt on first, I might be inspired to think I need to move to a smaller size, but when I got there it would be disappointing because nothing would fit.  Anyway, this sizing discrepency is really annoying to me, but I tried not to let it get to me.  I did actually find a couple pair of pants that fit really nice in a size that I haven't worn in a while ( yes!) and a bright red/magenta sweater to pair with some of my favorite outfits.  So it was a success despite the crazy clothing sizes. 
I kept myself pretty busy with fall cleaning, so I didn't dwell on it too much, but I really find it annoying that I am so between sizes. It makes me feel like I'm not doing enough, not pushing hard enough.  My new Fitbit Versa has a way of making me feel that way too.  Before when I wore the hip clip version, I would often hit 8,000+ steps a day, sometimes upwards of 10,000 before I got done with work.  Now I hit the 7,500 step mark and I am worn out and aching and it gives me my little reminder that I only need 2,500 more steps to meet my daily goal!  Either I have changed or the wrist version is not very sensitive.  I wonder which version was more accurate.  Of course, the way my hips have been aching lately, I don't get out for walks with the dog or walk for fun.  I dream of someday feeling good enough to do that again. 
Through it all, I did stop to remind myself that the last time I was "stuck" in between sizes, I was on my way down, and didn't stay stuck too long.  Just to be " on the way down" is a great feeling.  Someday I will fit all size 1XL no matter what brand or cut it is!  That'll show 'em!  Until them, I am, at very least, happy I don't have to work naked, and I'm sure lots of other people are too! 
Look at that!  We made it through Monday unscathed.  Happy new week!

Comments

Popular Posts