Cherry Pie

I did end up reading more of the book last night and in it was a link to this video Its a Ted Talk from a therapist who talks about the stories we tell ourselves or rather, how we tell our stories. The book refers back to this because one of the activities is to write your 'fat story'. Then after watching the video you reflect upon the story you wrote to see if you think others in the story would tell it the same way. Maybe I was just emotional or maybe it's the slide toward menopause but the book and the video had me a little teary. I am almost 100 pages in so I can tell you it's called The Cherry Pie Paradox by Joy Imboden Overstreet. I heard about this book from following Geneen Roth. I love how Geneen writes and speaks of eating issues, so when she said one of the biggest keys to her success was this lady's Thin Within program, I figured it is worth a try. I have read several of Geneen's books and her "rules" for sustainable weightloss are things that revolve around mindful eating. Don't eat distracted, only eat when you are hungry, stop when you are no longer hungry, slow down and really use your senses to eat, don't distract yourself with books/TV/phones/work because it's much harder to tell when you're no longer hungry. etc. I have known these seemingly simple rules and haven't applied them. Lo and behold, the rules are virtually the same in this book. I do think this book is going to go into more of the mental stuff though, and right now I do feel like I need that. I can feel myself rebelling against some of this, particularly the meditations they include, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. My eating is back on track today. That is something positive I can focus on. I am going to keep working through the book to see how it goes. I admit I have some resistance to it because it is based on not forcing yourself to eat certain things of eliminate certain things and the idea is that your body will self-regulate. I just know that sugars are so destructive to your body. I will keep my mind as open as possible while I read. That'si all I can promise! I have already benefited from reading the book. Whether or not I will change my eating issues because of it remains to be seen.

Comments

Popular Posts