My Old Friend South Beach

This week at work is going a little smoother.  I finally finished up a mountain of statements for our 5 sites and that feels fantastic to be able to focus more on incoming and outgoing orders and phone calls.  There are days when I actually catch up before I leave and that is a huge mental lift for me.  Our governor has said he thinks it could be another month before he lifts the orders to Shelter-in-place, which means I will likely keep working alone until then.  I have been noticing this ugly resentment still gnawing at me about it, but yesterday I realized that I am the most thorough person on staff, I make great notes on everything so anyone can pick up after me and know exactly what's going on. I pride myself on that.  So yesterday as I was playing my argument over and over in my head for the millionth time about how it makes so much more sense to keep the manager on instead of me, I stopped and thought about what that would look like for all of us. He is very helpful and works really hard and knows his stuff.  Not the greatest at documenting things through and I shudder to think of going back to stuff and not knowing what's going on with orders.  Then I let out a big sigh and resigned myself to the idea that I really am the best man for the job.  At least I know things will all make sense going forward.
I am still struggling with having to make judgment calls about what is truly an emergency and what is not.  Thank God it's just glasses and I'm not a triage nurse!  Part of me wants to say yes to everyone and another part of me wants to say no to everyone. I have been hustled by a few people who acted like they had an emergency repair only to find out they are coming in to have their old backup pair fixed and have a perfectly good pair to wear.  Sigh.  People are bored at home, I understand.  I would probably be bored too if I wasn't working.  I have to learn to let some stuff go because that's like a cancer if ruminate on the actions of others. Not to invalidate my feelings but in the end, if nothing bad came of it what's to be stressed out about?  I'm tryingt o be positive. 
I have done Zumba twice this week, and did some strengthening and stretching one day.  I am having a snapping hip or IT band on one side and it's really annoying me.  It feels not great to walk on so taking walks for exercise is not happening right now.  I am going to make a point to do more physical therapy type stuff at night to see I'd that helps, and I'm toying with the idea of getting back into yoga.  I sure love zumba but I do need the stretching too.  There's room for both.
I have not been tracking or paying much attention to my food lately.  The one thing that might be saving me is the fact my teen boys eat a huge amount of the groceries and there isn't a lot of bad stuff hanging around by the time I want a snack.  But I have been guilty of indulging in chips and granola bars right when I get home from the grocery store.  And the past couple weeks at work I have stopped 3-4 times in the lounge to "support" a coworker by buying fundraiser candy bars.  One day the chocolate company dropped off freebies for us as a thank you for working during this time.  So I have had 3 candy bars in the past couple weeks.  Not great but I do realize I was using it to cope, and I was under the influence of PMS. I don't have those cravings so strongly right now, but I did pull my South Beach Diet book back out and start reading it earlier this week.  The thing that brings me back to it is that two of the people who I have been inspired by and whose methods I have tried have evolved to a more low-carb manner of eating.  Now, I do have a mind of my own, but the fact that these two who I admire are coming to the same consensus makes me feel like low carb is sort of the real deal for so many things health and weight wise.  One thing I always liked about SBD is that I didn't have to think about it too much, I was simply swapping out fast-digesting carbs for slower digesting carbs and my most serious attempt at it I lost 40 pounds and felt pretty amazing.  Not to mention my bloodwork was the best it's ever been.   So I'm seriously considering restarting SBD.  I do think it will help me to focus more on the quality of food instead of just the caloric value.  I know that arthritis is already starting in my body and I have been at risk of heart issues and diabetes, which also puts me at a higher risk for cancer, so I think I am going to do it.  I have nothing to lose, and having something more mundane to focus on might take my mind off the virus and work stress. 
There is my on-the-spot decision.  Tomorrow I get groceries for the week so I will get low-carb stuff to support my decision.  I've got some planning to do!  Now that I've made the decision I feel good about it.  I think if I can come through this time stronger in mind and spirit, I can do just about anything! 
Hope everyone is keeping their minds and spirits healthy while staying safe!  Take care!

Comments

Popular Posts