A Gift

Yesterday I was really feeling rough.  First of all, it was the first day cutting my coffee intake down to 8 oz ( to be fair, about 2 oz of that is sugar-free creamer, don't judge).  Of course I was all yawn-y at work, but then I am always yawning all day long.  My doctor just chalks it up to hormones and aging.  My neck/shoulder issue came to a peak yesterday and it was pretty irritating.  When I try to touch my left ear to my shoulder (or even bend it a little) it pulls in my upper back by the shoulder blade.  It feels like something needs to snap back into place.  So of course I was stretching and grinding on that shoulder all day yesterday, determined to get some good pops.  I did get some, but it didn't relieve the tension.  I probably just aggrivated it more and caused inflammation.  I did use my foam roaller on my upper back and shoulders last night and it temporarily relieved some of the tension but trying to bring my neck in that position still hurts so I left it alone.  This is likely being caused by how I sleep, on my side with one arm under my pillow. How do you change how you sleep when you are asleep through most of it?  Anyway, besides that little issue, multiple other joints started to feel irritated.  My hips felt like they had siatica in them, pinched nerve type of feel.  My knee was cranky too. 
When I woke this morning, multiple areas of my body started cracking and popping into place as if my body had a fantastic reset.  I was really grateful for that, but there was still some soreness lingering and the neck/shoulder thing is still there. I almost skipped yoga today and the internal argument ensued.  I promised myself if my body felt like it needed a rest I would listen.  But I don't feel horrible, it's not like I can't do the movements, plus the blood flowing will feel good.  I ultimately told myself that I could stop at any time if it was too challenging on my body today, but I also knew that I could modify as much as I wanted to stay in the game. 
Today's class was only 14 minutes and not too intense, though there were side planks and regular planks and three push ups.  I am noticing that my body is more easily getting a little sweaty when I do yoga than it was even 2 weeks ago.  That is a positive sign that it is stoking my metabolism.  I am ever-so-slowly getting a little stronger and I know that will help me with balance.  I did not regret getting on the mat today.   It feels like a very grounding way to start my day, and sets up the rest of the day for an easier flow.
I decided to take an ibuprofen tab today, something I was warned not to do because it raises blood pressure, but today felt like it called for it, at least for my neck.  I feel a little better and I have not doubt about whether or not I am going to unroll my mat tomorrow morning. 
Day 2 of less coffee feels like it is going pretty smooth.  So what felt impossible yesterday, today feels quite effortless.  I am teaching myself how to listen to the doubt less, what a beautiful gift!

Comments

  1. Talk to your doctor. I ended up going for what sounds like a similar shoulder/arm thing. They gave me ex strength aleeve and a muscle relaxer. Those combined eased up the pain...as for sleeping...I sleep with my arm under my pillow also....but when the pain eased up and not the norm, I find myself sleeping differently...by body isn’t used to that pain so it adjusts itself now when it feels that pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryFran, thanks for the advice! Mine snapped back into place last night. If it happens again I'll have my chiropractor release it. When I had piriformis for nearly a year, I finally broke down and told him, he hit the trigger point with an actuator tool and immediately the pain was gone and has not returned. My body likes to trap tendons where they don't belong, probably due to the multiple areas of weakness throughout. Hoping the yoga helps all of these little kinks and quirks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts