Thank you Fluffy Body!


Day 10 of the 30 Days of Yoga on the "Yoga with Adriene" YouTube channel was a nice, easy 10 minutes of Sun Salutation, which is gentle stretching movement.  Even though I worked out a lot of the muscles soreness by stretching during the day yesterday, my body felt pretty good after the lighter workout this morning, it was rejuvenating enough to get me warmed up and feel like my back and hips were moving easily. 
My mat and block have arrived and it was nice to use the mat today as the Downward Facing Dog pose (which we do several of each practice) makes me slip if I don't have the mat.  I did still feel a little slipping even with the mat.  I am wondering if any yoga fans out there have any advice or tricks to not having your hands slip during that pose.  I read so many reviews of mats on Amazon and so many of the ones that didn't say they were slippery were wearing off in clumps almost from the start.  I may investigate if there is something slip-resistant I can apply to my hands, which seem to be dry despite using lotion religiously. 
Anyway, that ten minute session was nice and did make me feel pretty good even though there was no core strengthening or difficult postures.  I am really focusing "getting my money's worth" as the instructor likes to say, activating all the muscles instead of just focusing on the one doing most of the work.  It takes a lot of focus to put your fingers or toes in a certain way while you are holding a challenging pose, but that makes it more effective.  If I only give myself 30 minutes of this a day, I want to make those 30 minutes count.  I have also been trying to focus more on my breath, which felt somewhat unnatural in the beginning because I was focusing on how to do the moves.  Now I feel like there is a good basic group of moves we do every time that I am familiar with enough to start focusing on good form and breathing.  I like the way yoga builds upon itself. 
I had a few moments of triggering yesterday, after I got home from work.  I took the dog out in the hot, humid weather and when we got in I was thinking about bingeing on snacks instead of eating a good meal.  I had a horrible sinus headache and was really drained from the heat.  I was able to put the Brain Over Binge method in practice, realizing that just because I was thinking about doing that doesn't mean my higher brain wants what the lower brain does.  I dismissed the urge to binge, drank a whole bunch of cool water and after had a sensible dinner.  There is a certain amount of discomfort in dismissing the urge to binge (or eat without care) and I had to keep fighting the urge for several minutes but I told myself that I was taking that option off the table and I got past it.  The more times you dismiss the urge, the book says, the brain circuitry becomes rewired and eventually you stop having the urges altogether.  That doesn't mean you'll never eat food that's not good for you or use food to calm stress or celebrate, but it means you won't eat as if you are out of control and keep going until you are uncomfortable.   There is a distinction between emotional eating and binge eating (binge eating generally has much more urgency involved and feelings of not being in control) and I think I suffer from both.  The nice thing about this BOB technique is that it can apply to anything that your lower brain tells you it wants but your higher brain knows you don't need.  A non-food area that I would also like to work on is spending money on stuff I really don't need or could easily do without.  My favorite author Geneen Roth talks about this in a few of her books (especially Lost and Found), she traces this back to a similar place/practice as emotional eating, the "things" taking place of connections or real joys. 
In a way, I am happy I didn't lose weight the first or 50th time I tried because I never would have discovered these great books that are leading me to a much deeper place and are, ultimately, helping me fix so much more about my life than just my weight.  I am not a weight-loss success story by any means, but I am growing so much from this experience of learning what, why and how my brain and body operate.  So today I give full appreciation to all this extra weight I am carrying around.  Today I will recognize it as a hidden blessing.  That is a victory I have earned and I will wear it like a badge!

Comments

Popular Posts