The Slope can get Slippery

Whew!  Ever have one of those jam-packed weekends that almost make you relieved to go back to work on Monday?  Yeah, it was a full weekend, but it was fun.  And now it's Monday and I'm pooped out, but when the fall and winter come around and I feel cooped up in the house I will remember these busy summer weekends fondly. 
Friday my husband had off so he took the boys swimming up north, they had a blast and I was a little jealous I will admit!  But when I got done with work I took the dog out and was contemplating what to eat because they weren't home yet.  By the time I got in with the dog, they were home and we decided to go to one of our favorite local restaurants that is a nice quiet atmosphere.  The food is typically really good, but I ordered the Rueben sandwhich and was very disappointed.  The meat was pretty much impossible to chew and had an 'off' taste to it.  I was super worried I might get sick from it so I only at a smalle bite of the meat and just ate the bread with sauerkraut, ate my fries and cole slaw. I also had a pint of Spotted Cow because it's good, and you can only get it in Wisconsin so it makes me feel special.  Ha ha.  So that cheat meal was not worth it.  I ended up throwing half of the sandwich away, which is not like me but I really thought I might get sick if I ate it. When I got home I did a few extra things to help myself for the weekend because I knew it was going to be busy.  We got to bed pretty late Friday and I woke early but knowing I had stuff to get done, I got up before I wanted to. 
Saturday I got the dog out and fed, got groceries and then finally sneaked over to get a haircut before we hit the road.  We went north because we live by a beautiful Cape-Cod-esque peninsula and it's just irrisistable on both sides.  We drove around for a while, took a blistering hot walk along a channel which included a huge hill to climb (and lots of bugs unfortunately) then we drove our sweaty selves to an island with a lighthouse on it, stopping off at a few lake view spots along the way.  The lighthouse is fun to visit because you can go inside and see how it was back in the day (built in 1869) and you can go to the top and look out over Lake Michigan.  My son wanted to go up so we climbed the 97 narrow steps to the top and the view was really spectacular!  The breeze felt so refreshing too!
Me and my love on top of the lighthouse overlooking Lake Michigan

So 97 steps up means the same number down.  My legs wanted to DIE after all of that and they are still sore today!  The bad part of it is that it really made my surgery knee feel pretty bad for the rest of the day.  Hopefully things like this will dissipate after I gain more strength.
We had a lovely dinner on the peninsula and this time the food was absolutely cravable!  I had a BBQ bacon cheeseburger and house cut fries and two delicious glasses of diet cola. The food was all locally-sourced and the beef was from grass-fed cows, so the food was really fresh and delicious.  We got home around 8pm, wiped out from the sun and activity, so you'd think that meant we went to bed early right?  Nope!  We had picked up a 6 pack of beer from a brewery on the peninsula and I tortured myself through 1 can (it was really hoppy which I am not a fan of) and we went to bed late and I got up early for a second night in a row.  We had church on Sunday, our crazy, historic, spiritualist church is about a half hour drive back up the peninsula.  Since we only have 16 services a year, each service is longer, about 2 hours for the regular service where we do a healing meditation and try to commune with spirits, then after service is over, there is Spirit Circle where our mediumistic reverend channels messages for us.  Then there is a potluck luncheon after.  It is not uncommon for us to leave the house at 9:30 am and get home after 4:30 pm, if we stay for lunch and conversation, which is most enjoyable, but it ends up being a long day.  My hubby and I decided we were going to assertively leave at 2pm, which meant we only had about 20 minutes to eat and chat, but we made it work and got home at a decent time after stopping to look at the water on the bay.  Then I had to do laundry, not a huge chore but I am always so tired after meditating, especially the kind where I am drifing in and out of sleep/awake stages during it.   But I did it and that is the point where I almost looked forward to the work week which will be relatively uneventful in comparison. 
Yoga on Saturday was "Stretch" and it felt so good to focus on stretching without all the core training and balance moves.  Sunday was day 4 and it was all about moves on the floor.  We stretched the back a lot and did some ab work.  Today was more work up off the floor, a lot of Warrior work and a ton of work on the breath and making sure to be aware of moving with the breath.  I really felt the breath-movement connection today and it felt good.  I will say, I am eagerly waiting for Adriene to kick my booty like she said she would in the description of this course.  I want to be more challenged, but all in good time.  I know if I push myself too hard too fast I stand a good chance of getting hurt. 
With all the weekend indulgences, I was feeling that nagging feeling I always get sooner or later when I woke up this morning, I felt like I had an activity hang-over, all sore, tired and wanting to throw in the towel, skip the yoga and eat garbage.  But I realized that this old pattern is one that doesn't serve me, and only takes me further from my goal, and further from the things my true self wants. It can be a really slippery slope once you give in, so I prepared my planned food and hit the mat.  I did find time to measure and take photos today, so at least I have that as a base to see changes over time.  I will re-weigh and measure at the end of this 30-day stretch which will be my marker before I start my next 30-days etc.  I do think I can make a habit out of it and if it becomes habit I do think that doing it for 1 year straight is not out of the question at all. I think of all the rewards I would reap by next summer and it is exciting.  I already feel younger, firmer and more energetic than I did before I started doing yoga.  I hope I can stick with it during the school year. 
So that's where this Monday leaves me.  Next weekend promises to be much less active and I am OK with that!

Comments

Popular Posts