Stress!

Today is shrouded in stress and a foul mood on my part.  Everything was going OK until I started to discuss my kids' grades with them.  They are each getting F's in 3 classes.  My older son (16 years) just took the ACT test yesterday and his usual A's and B's have been slipping as he prepares for the test.  He has been so very stressed out over this test, even though we've told him it's really not a huge deal, it may afford him the opportunity to skip some general classes in college if he does well, but it's not a life-changer of a test.  Still he was very stressed.  He took a practice test at the beginning of the year and scored well above average on it so we were begging him not to sweat it.  He is also scheduled to take his drivers license road test in less than 2 weeks, and that is stressing him out too.  So this morning when I asked about grades and absences, he became very agitated.  I tried to just let him know that there is still time to fix it, he just might need to ask his teachers what to prioritize in order to get caught up.  I then changed the subject to summer and vacations we have planned to try and distract him, but I guess his mind was not in a place to calm down.  He has make fantastic strides at learning and gaining coping skills but sometimes it all just overwhelms him and he goes to hide under the stairs instead of being in class.  Today he got so stressed out he walked out of the school and the school officer found him and brought him to the Family Crisis Center because he was saying suicidal stuff.  His Asperger's lends itself to being very dramatic in moments where his coping skills feel insufficient; he gets backed against a wall of emotions and he says something about suicide.  One time he said he felt that way when he was in my car and I told him I can take him to the hospital and he suddenly felt better.  I always treat it as serious and tell him how much I love him and would never want to lose him, even though I know it's just a horribly inappropriate coping technique he uses when he doesn't know what else to do or say.  There is such a fine line between pushing for him to grow in ways I know he is capable and pushing more than he can handle. We may have to put off his driving test for a few months.  His temps expire at the end of March, but if he's this stressed out it may be pointless. 
Once one thing is going rough, it has a tendency to make me uber aware of everything else that is not smooth and easy, and my stress just compiles. I still haven't set up my MRI for my neck because of scheduling issues etc, and right now I feel like there's a ton of stuff being sort of dumped on me and I barely have free time for myself.  I seriously need a break!
 Anyway, all of that stressed me out this morning, and I was so crabby and irritable at work on top of it; I didn't get a lunch break until 2pm and all I had for a morning snack was a small pack of green olives, I was so hangry and headachy by the time I finally ate.  But!  I didn't eat my stress today.  It may be only 1 day; one instance, but today I was victorious over my emotions. And that is a good step toward sitting with my emotions and not letting myself use food as a drug.  I will go home and comfort my son and ask if he wants to cancel his driver's test until school is out for summer, then I will look to non-food ways to feel better; maybe watch The Office or read something that takes my mind off my cares for a bit. 
When life gets sticky I just have to get creative. 
Thanks for letting me vent!

Comments

Popular Posts