This Time

Today I saw the scale dip down to 159.8. Yes, it's BARELY in the 150's but it that still counts! I haven't been in the 150's since 2011, so it feels so amazin, even if it doesn't immediately stick. My lowest weight I got down to during any weightloss effort in adulthood was 152, and that was in August, 2011 for my 20 year class reunion. For so many years that followed, I felt like I would never be able to see that kind of loss again, or even dream about exceeding that amount of weightloss. Last time I lost that weight I lost it in less than a year. November will mark my 2 year anniversary of starting the keto way of life and I'm just barely making it into the 160's. I did start at a higher weight this time (206 vs 192) and I have added hypothyroidism and perimenopause to my challenges, but this time I feel like I can sustain this indefinitely. I identifywith the keto community and that feels really good to have a sense of belonging. I am handling the plain water and black coffee fine. I usually get a desire for flavor in my water after lunch, a time where I used to habitually have a piece of sugar-free gum. That's when I add a splash of lime juice to my water, otherwise I drink it plain. I think if I continue to stay with plain water I might eventually be able to just switch. I haven't had to rely on tea this time like last time I gave up sweeteners. I do think it's easier abstaining altogether rather than allowing it during certain times of day but not others. It matters, mentally. I am sore from my strength sessions yesterday, which was arms,core and legs. My abs are not my strongest muscles and they are definitely letting me know I used them! I did some knee push ups too, so I am pretty sore in my upper body too! I have been keeping on top of the yoga too and getting longer walks with my dog in the morning. So it's all working together. Now that I have seen the 150's I have my eye on the prize and determination behind me to stay in the 150's and hopefully get beyond. This month, I think, will only be one more turning point on what has been a journey of small wins that add up to a big victory. I feel so much less worried about my health and how I look- isn't that ironic? I started keto while I was still addicted to carbs, and I wasn't ready, mentally, to let go. I only realized afterwards that all that glucose and insulin in my body were a huge culprit in why I felt so bad physically and mentally. My body was so used to using sweets as a drug that I couldn't tell how bad they made me feel until I stopped eating them. I don't know what the future has in store for me, but even if I drift away from a more strict version of keto, I can't imagine ever going back to eating how I used to.

Comments

Popular Posts