Magic

Something kind of magical is happening to me lately!


I don't really know what is causing it, but I feel so good lately and it is a little counter-logical because I am edging closer and closer to menopause and I should be irritable and tired and just blah.  The truth is, I have felt that way a lot in my adult years.  Even just a few months ago.  But I don't feel that way now.  I have more energy, a positive attitude and I more than content, I am actually happy.  What a blessing this is!
I can attribute it to giving up dieting, but I don't know how accurate that is, at least not directly.  It made me wonder, when I was low-carb dieting, maybe I was cutting my carbs too much.  Anyway, something is shifting in me to a point where my body is starting to want more fresh foods.  I want produce.  I have been snacking on sugar-snap peas and they are so cold and fresh and it makes me feel like I took a step back into summer.  When I open my fridge and cupboard, the packaged process stuff doesn't look as appealing to me as it once did.  And I am noticing how my salt intake has been really irritating me, especially since the having the heat on already makes my skin feel so dry.  So maybe I feel better because I am eating a somewhat more balanced, less processed menu lately.  I really don't know why I feel better, maybe it's not for me to try and analyze. 
I have been feeling inspired lately by seeing people's weight loss and "health" journey stories.  I do so get inspired by others.  I have also been thinking about my own journey, especially seeing family yesterday, some of whom have lost a good amount of weight recently, and some have gained some too, it makes me think about my own body and what I want and what I am doing.  When I think about dieting, going back on South Beach Diet I feel like it is a weight on me.  But, when I see people cooking healthy food with fresh ingredients and spices, it really inspires me.  And maybe that is a huge part of why I didn't like being restricted, because I put so much emphasis on the dos and don'ts that to simplify I didn't really include much variety.  I am a person who gets bored with foods easily, and I am also sensitive to textures of food so it is a challenge, but there are so many things I haven't tried or just don't take the time to prepare.  Right now I am really turned off by greasy things and by overly-sweet things and by chocolate.  I think there are definitely times during the month when those things appeal to me much more so I will have them then, but for now I am going to make myself step out of my comfort zone with food and try some new things or revisit some things from the past that I enjoyed.  Who knows, I may even end up with a new recipe to share! 
I am blessed with the ability to move with ease, and without pain for the most part.  I have been thinking about getting a little morning sweat session going, mostly to feel warm and awake, but the getting out of bed early part has always been a challenge for me.  Still we have an expensive stationary bike just collecting dust and the whole reason I wanted a bike was to help me strengthen my lower body without impact or weight-bearing, while also getting some cardiovascular benefit.  I have been lazy, sometimes by habit, but my body feels energized now so I should be using that to my advantage. 
I will admit, my feelings shifting toward wanting healthier things feels a little bit like starting a new diet.  I am being careful with the idea that I can't have certain things, while trying to remain aware of how things make my body feel physically.  The pumpkin pie did not make me feel good, that much I know.  And I already knew how a donut would sit on my stomach this morning, so I was easily able to pass it up but I did have some bready, less sweet, tart cherry danish this morning.  Tonight we might end up out for dinner.  The place we typically eat has a fantastic yellowfin tuna steak and I usually eat it as a sandwich with fries (they have amazing fries) but the whole thought of fries sounds unappealing right now, so I am thinking of a Tuna steak salad.  It feels really good to know that my body is getting better at speaking for itself, and it naturally wants stuff that is better for me, more often.  This, I will say, is way easier than any other way I have tried to make peace with food.  I'm letting nature take it's course instead of trying to fight against it.  What a novel idea!
I hope all who celebrate Thanksgiving had a fantastic day yesterday!  Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular Posts