Weekend off Keto

Whew! Back after a little break. The lady week of the month is busy for me at work and then last weekend was my girlfriend trip up north. I felt ill prepared for the trip, which is unusual for me. Food before the weekend was pretty on-track. I left on Friday morning so my family and I had a dinner out together on Thursday. I knew I was going be lax from that point until I got back because I didn't want to have to be difficult. I ate a lot of fried food and some sweets even. We got a cabin-like "apartment" set right on a lake and the relaxation of it all was much-needed.
The place has kayaks and paddleboards, etc free to use. I did not go in the water because it was cold. Also I was hanging out with my bestie who has bandages she can't get wet. The main event of our weekend was dinner on a train. It was a 2.5 hour trip with a five course meal that ended with this lovely dessert.
I ate it all. We talked and laughed and had some wine and got to know each other better. My bestie is the mutual person between all of us and she just turned 50 so this was perfect. I was exhausted when I got home but my husband wanted to get a bite to eat so we went to our local bar and grill. I was so completely burnt out on fried food so I had a chicken wrap with a side salad and it was so refreshing. We ate our again on Labor Day and I had a Belgian waffle with Belgian trippe (sausage stuffed with cabbage). When all was said and done, I was more than happy to fast last night and to be back on track today. I don't know how I user to eat so poorly on a daily basis. The indulgences over the past few days had me feeling mentally sluggish, physically drained and dehydrated. As little weight as I have lost doing keto so far, what it does give me is stability in how I feel mentally and physically. The past couple times I have had wine or hard cider my stomach has gotten so unhappy and even though I don't drink alcohol often, I'm thinking of cutting it out completely. I have been leaning towards needing more research on what I'm eating but I think before I make any dramatic changes I need to start tracking things better to see where I'm starting from. I plan to make September my month to gather information. I think I need to be doing a cleaner version of keto in order to see more consistent changes. I rely a lot on packaged keto bread and cheese. Then again I haven't done any intentional exercise in weeks. I am still learning and tweaking things and I suspect that's going to be the norm going forward. I'm OK with that because of how this lifestyle makes me feel. Whether or not I lose a lot of weight doing it, that's something no one can take from me.

Comments

  1. I find that when I am eating low carb my mental clarity is so much better. I never realized that I lived in a brain fog till I cut out sugar. Of course that was a while back and while I know better now I still choose to live in the brain fog. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to binge on fats and sugars together (pastries, cookies,candy bars, you name it). I would get so mad at the books that gave advice to "check in" with your body to see how a certain food made you feel. I couldn't tell a difference back then, probably because eating that way was my normal. Now when I go off keto, I always feel my absolute worst when I eat sweets. I finally understand it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts