Self Healing

So, can it be spring now?  I am really ready for it.  We have had more snow this year than I can remember having since I was a child.  On the bright side, I am getting a chance to face my anxiety of driving on slippery roads nearly daily (because with the temperatures being low it doesn't melt off the roads).  I won't say that I don't get nervous or have anxiety, but I think the true panic attacks are lessening.  I am better able to tell myself to sit back more, loosen my death grip on the wheel and breathe.  Those are gifts that my 5 counseling sessions have afforded me and it does help.  Still, I sure can't wait to see green things blooming and hear all the little birds singing gleefully.  My mind is definitely on spring and summer warmth!
Last weekend I ate more fats and carbs than was needed, having 2 dinners out, both which included corned beef as it turned out.  It was the day before and the day of my period starting, so the fat cravings made sense.  Usually once my period starts things all settle down and eating is very sane.  I'm grateful for that! 
I have finished one book on Ayurveda, this one only had a very abbreviated introduction so I got a sense of it but didn't feel like I had a good grasp on it.  Now I am reading a full book that looks so complete and helpful.  It is written in a very easy to understand way and I am learning a lot already.  Ayurveda is the ancient Indian system of healing mind, body and spirit by balancing our elemental influences and energies.  I feel like this is what I have been looking for.  I see a lot of ads for Ayurveda spa treatments, and massage can definitely be incorporated, but I want to learn about herbs and healing tonics and yoga, meditation and food balancing.  I am fascinated by it.  In a quick glance through  my new book that I got yesterday, it even shows how nails, eyes, tongue can all be used to diagnose deficiencies or problems in organs.  Shouldn't modern medicine be doing this?  Anyway, I think I am going to learn a lot and this is something that will help me grow and connect with the inner peace I know is there under some "stuck" thoughts that don't belong. 
Ayurveda encourages Dinacharya, or morning rituals which can be any multitude of things ranging from tongue scraping to oil pulling, dry brushing, neti pot rinsing, yoga, meditation and drinking of warm lemon water.  There is an emphasis on digestion and food because they are important to balancing the humors in the body which manifest in our outward behaviors and physical ailments or health.  One of the things that I have noted again and again is how dry my entire body is always.  My skin seems to not retail water anymore, my lips are always dry (thus, my Carmex addiction) my hair dry and fly-away, my mouth and nose are always so dry.  So I will need to balance that out with a certain type of foods to help balance my dosha (imbalance). 
So this is a thing I am really excited to learn more about. I am a complete beginner but I am realizing that sometimes when I get this restless, angsty, unfulfilled feeling that wants to pretend it is depression, it is really my brain asking to learn something new.  I didn't realize my need for this until recently.  I did discover that vegging out on my phone all day doesn't make me feel as great as I expect it to.  Sleeping too many hours is the same, I actually feel worse when I get too much sleep.  So this is one more discovery to add to the list; even when I feel a little overwhelmed with managing all the to-do's in life, learning something new is something to keep my mind interested and reading does help me feel calm, in a similar way to coloring. 
So that's about it for now.  I am pouring myself into this in hopes that I will gain some tools to help me along my journey to aging gracefully and feeling good in the process.  I'll leave with a photo of the book I am just getting into.  It has a lot of visuals to aid the learning process, which I find extraordinarly helpful!

Comments

Popular Posts