Stepping Up!

On Valentine’s Day, my company sent out an email advertising a fitness challenge to try and get 10,000 steps a day at least 5 days a week for the next 4 weeks.  I am an absolute sucker for a challenge, especially when it seems doable, so I signed up.  Mind you, my foot is still a little gimpy and walking outside right now is stupid-slippery with inch-thick ice on the streets (and seemingly ceaseless bouts of more snow and freezing rain) but all excuses aside, I intend to make this work.  Succeeding at these challenges gets me “points” which add up to cash rewards and help me get a bigger raise when my yearly evaluation comes up.  I ended up surpassing 10,000 steps on Sunday just do to all the housework and dog-walking I did.  Yesterday I was low on steps when it was about 6pm so I started walking back and forth in my workspace and put a couple thousand steps on in about 30 minutes.  I couldn’t believe how good I felt.  I got home around 7pm and actually had energy and was in good spirits; that was a breath of fresh air!
Tonight by the time I got home and ate dinner I was still about 2,000 steps short of my goal so I walked around my apartment and couldn’t believe how quickly those steps added up because I was listening to music (something I rarely do when I’m not driving these days) and I was actually having fun!  
This morning when I woke up I felt so much thinner.  I realize it was a mind trick but it felt good because yesterday before walking I was starting to feel like the progress I’d made was fading; I had a “fathead day” where I just felt the weight of my excesses piling on me. This, after eating clean and being kind and helpful; well, those days will come and go but it was the walking that made me feel good and it lasted into today.  So I get it that my work is trying to encourage this to become a habit and I would like to think that can happen.  Not necessarily walking around my apartment but just getting real, heart-pounding exercise on a regular basis.  It feels good, I can’t figure out why I avoid it  like the plague!
So anyway, that’s my latest challenge!  I feel like it will be a very positive month!

Comments

Popular Posts