Dancing Forward and Weigh In #1

As promised, today was weigh in day.  I did it first thing this morning, all anticipation bubbling up. And I gained a pound.  I felt so deflated.  I put on my music in preperation to dance, and for a minute I hesitated, questioning if I should even bother.  I slowly started to move with the music and was dancing before I had the chance to argue with myself anymore.  I told myself that one little 2-week stretch isn't going to matter in the long run, and I never got into this to be hung up over what the scale said.  Then I told myself I would take a few measurements while getting ready, just to see if what I've been feeling like was a successful 2 weeks was all in my head.  And I danced with wild abandon.  In my living room.  With the dog looking at me like I was insane. I felt really good for doing it too, alert and energized. 
I did take 2 measurements only, in the two places where I feel like I can tell a difference, my upper fat roll (my "higher stomach" because I have two rolls, one higher and one lower) and I lost a full inch in that area!  Then I checked my upper arm and that was minimal.  Still, I felt really good about the progress in the stomach area.  I could really tell in that area, shirts fit better for sure.  It was a great reminder that the scale is not the ultimate measure of success.  I need to remember that. 
I did take a step forward by scheduling a consult with a dietician.  Being that I work for a health clinic, we get free consult with a dietician as part of our Wellness incentive.  I want to ask about my calorie deficit and my Fitbit, which seems to give me a lot of calories for being on a diet, and ask about what I need to know or do differently given my being in perimenopause. It should be interesting.  I've been thinking of doing it for a while now so it's good that I'm finally taking the plunge.
My calories are typically between 1,400 and 1,900 and all but a day or two have been within my 500 calorie deficit, in which case I still had a significant deficit between calories burned and calories eaten, but fell short of a 500 calorie deficit.  The tracking is easy when I'm eating the same thing for a couple weeks, but I do think I need to change things up next week because I'm starting to get sick of eating the same thing over and over.  I dread having to put that research work in to planning a menu, but it's just a normal part of my "reset" which is what I'm calling this journey.  I am resetting the way I eat, the way I look at portion sizes, the way I handle the voice in my head that tellls me to go crazy and eat everything in sight...I'm clearing the slate and making way for new healthier habits.  Despite how reluctant I was on January 1st, I'm really happy I am doing this.  I may not have had a loss on the scale this first time, but I am still moving forward in so many positive ways.  That's enough to keep me going for a long time!
Happy Wednesday friends!

Comments

Popular Posts