Dreams of a Wonderfully Normal Future

This past week has been so busy and the next few weeks are looking busy too.  Extra appointments and plans, so much on the to-do list and work has started getting busier too.  I have been super irritable on top of it (Aunt Flow finally came, 17 days late).  So I have taken in a slight increase in caffeine a couple days this week, to help me be more pleasant and less irritable at work. 
I am still on track with my goals and I'm looking forward to my weigh-in, which I think I've decided will be the first of the month and the 15th of the month. 
Last weekend we ate out twice.  Friday I knew that was part of the plan so I reserved some calories, I ate a BBQ chicken sandwhich and some kettle-cooked chips.  I knew if I had fries that I would have a hard time resisting eating them all so the chips were much easier to turn down after a few bites.  I also had a local specialty drink, only because it has sentimental value and we haven't seen it offered anywhere around for a few years.  It's a vodka martini made with a local olive oilry's balsamic, lime and strawberry juices and black pepper.  It is very tastey and surprisingly not too calorie-laden as far as alcohol goes. 
Saturday night my husband and I sneaked out for a bite at a local Irish pub we've been wanting to try.  I had a Rueben sandwhich that was to die for and sweet potato fries, which I split into two meals.  I also had a beer. 
Surprisingly enough, because I worked out (45 minutes of high energy Zumba on Saturday) both days, I was within my calorie limit both days.  I also woke up later and had less snacks during the day.  Sunday was when I started to feel really wiped out and drained and I needed a break from the extra activity.  I spent the day working on a big project, but that meant a lot of sitting and not much moving around.  My calorie budget was low but my metabolism wasn't stopping for a day off so I ended up going over my deficit budget that day, despite not eating anything off plan.  I did not control it and didn't really fret.  I still had a deficit of calories taken in vs calories burned for the day, but it wasn't a 500 calorie deficit.  I still call that a win.  I did not binge or eat compulsively, I ate amply and felt satisfied without being stuffed.  That is what I am trying to re-train myself to do so it becomes automatic, then at some point I won't track calories anymore.  That seems like such a wonderfully normal way to live!  This tracking has really helped make me more aware of the caloric density of some of my favorite foods and it makes me much more aware of serving sizes. 
I am still working on that "Bailando" Zumba video and man I am having fun!  It gets my heart rate up good and fast and I get all sweaty and I feel pretty awesome at the end.  I can do the routine about 90% of the way, where I stumble is with the arms coordinating with the legs, and I am also holding my phone with headphones attatched so it's a little awkward, but I'm getting the steps and it feels good.  I just saved another one of that instructor's zumba videos and I might alternate the two for some variety.  Zumba is fun.  I love to dance. 
I do feel like things are slowly starting to happen.  I notice the weight loss in my face.  My dimples are all showing again and my second chin is almost non-exsistant.  My stomach is responding too, though that is going to take a long, long time to get all of that gone.  I'm OK with that.  What I'm doing right now feels sustainable.  I'm not forcing myself to eat foods I don't like, I'm not starving or depriving myself, I'm moving and counting calories/watching my portions and life is moving on.  I always thought it would be so hard/so much work to count calories and with the apps available these days, it's really a non-issue.  The only part that is hard is going to restaurants and having to guesstimate  calories.  Now, the scale and measuring tape on Saturday will be a good measure of whether I am doing enough.  I'm OK with slow progress as long as there is some.
My goal in the coming weeks is to try and counteract the business with some good old fashioned TLC for myself.  When I feel like I am having too many demands on me I get so overwhelmed and stressed out and it opens the door to wanting to comfort with food.  I will be one step ahead of my stress by planning out self-pampering things like bath with facial, a night off of doing work or projects to just play and do enjoyable things, and maybe even another date night with my love.  When fighting the same old beasts we have gotten used to fighting, we have to use new strategies to come out ahead.  I'm planning to need these things and if I don't then they are just a bonus, but if I do, they are healthier ways to deal with stress than eating. 
Happy Thursday friends! 

Comments

Popular Posts