New Groove

This week has been particularly challenging for my household.  My older son has had the nastiest headcold I think I have ever seen him have in all his 16 years.  The near-constant coughing and fevers, add to it the pukes from coughing so hard, bloody noses galore, and it's finals week at school so he was not staying home for anything.  Only because I know his throwing up was from a stomach bug, I let him go because I know he would be so very stressed if he missed his finals.  Now the younger son is starting to catch it and I'm doing everything in my power to deny the fact that my throat is getting scratchy and my nose is a little stuffy.  I'm flooding myself with zinc and vitamins in hopes that I can fend it off but I won't be surprised if I catch it.  It just seems to be like that kind of winter for me. 
I was so sapped of energy on Monday that I didn't work out, despite having extra time.  I slept horribly that night but still woke early Tuesday figuring I could do something.  I ended up doing some self-guided deep stretching and it felt soooo good.  I didn't officially count that as exercise, but at least I did something positive for my body.  Yesterday I danced and it felt good.  My spirits started to lift yesterday after a few days in a solid funk, and today was the best of all.  This morning I watched a YouTube video to learn some of the basic zumba steps.  It was a series of Merengue, Salsa, Reggaeton and one other move.  I learned how uncoordinated I am in a hurry, but man did I have fun!  I love that latin music and think it would be really fun to learn it better. It made me think of the movie "Along Came Polly" where Jennifer Aniston takes Ben Stiller to a salsa club and hilarity ensues.  Anyway I worked up a crazy sweat learning the zumba moves, and while I still need lots of practice, I think it is something I could really get into.  I felt like I was torching so many calories and having so much fun doing it.
This Zumba video set to a song I love, "Bailando" is one that I particularly love.  I discovered it a few years ago and have told myself someday I am going to learn this. I think, given how much fun I had today, I think it's time I make good on that promise I made to myself.  The instructor makes it look so easy and I know when I just watched and tried to follow along before it was hillarious!  But at least I can laugh at myself and learning this will make my morning exercise fun.  I may even consider and after-work zumba class at some point, but first I want to get some basics behind me. 
So in a way, I guess I have been trying to take the dietician's advice and run with it.  I am eating more fruits and veggies this week and trying some new stuff.  I could tell how much more the latin moves made me glutes, abs, quads and hamstrings work compared to my freestyle dancing that I have done for years.  I even let a little passing thought about taking salsa lessons if I could find that offered where I live.  That's a bit of a stretch but I was in good spirits when that thought passed over me.
Today when I looked in the mirror I felt noticeably smaller.  Could be a trick of the eye or positive mindset but it boosted my mood even more.  Even if I hop on the scale and it shows another gain or minimal loss, I am fine with that.  I can tell my stomach is getting flatter and I'm taking positive strides toward health. 
I'm feeling good and I hope whoever is reading this is too!  Happy Thursday Friends!  Groove on!

Comments

  1. I hope the kiddos get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zumba!!!!

    How is everyone at your house? Is everyone healthy again???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the well wishes. The boys are slowly coming out of the fog. Lots of coughing and squeaky voices but we're out of the knocked-down-fever part. Can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts