The Dance

I didn't blog yesterday because I ended up working some overtime to get caught up at work. Since I work from home, it's not that big of a deal to work overtime, but it was such a gorgeous day it was a bit of a shame to be spending it inside. After walking the dog yesterday, my hips and low back were irritated again. During my rehab for knee surgery some years ago, the physical therapist told me my hips hurt because my glutes and hips are weak so I'm using the wrong parts to make the movement. She gave me some physical therapy exercises to do in order to strengthen them. Like most physical things in my life, I did it for a while then stopped. Now I'm older and fatter and still weak. So I decided to do some of those exercises as my morning workout yesterday. I put on some great music and felt the burn. I also added some planks and side planks because the chiropractor who fixed my scoliosis said the twist in my spine was bad enough that there was a full inch difference in the length of my legs. He wanted me to do planks to help support my back and well, that didn't last. I was a little surprised that I could hold a plank for as long as I did (thanks to Yoga with Adriene) but the side planks were very challenging. I had a good amount of energy all day after that workout, even though it wasn't long. I have decided that I want to incorporate the physical therapy exercises I have acquired into my workouts or even do them in the evenings. I have the ones I was given after knee surgery, to help strengthen my legs and stabilize my knees, the ones for the weak hips and bum, and the ones I have from after the surgery on my achilles tendon, which were focused on calf strength, ankle stability and balance, which has always been a challenge for me. I may even get a balance board because those really challenge me! Anyway, I ended up having trouble sleeping last night and it got to the point where I gave in and took some melatonin. I did sleep, but I woke up feeling so dizzy, groggy and just generally weird. I barely remember walking the dog this morning, I was so out of it. I did not work out. I figured I would likely need to work more overtime tonight, and feeling the way I did, I wasn't sure I'd have the energy. I felt a little better during the day and I didn't end up needing to work overtime, but that lost sleep caught up with me and I just felt drained. I did end up having to exchange the water cooler jugs because we were low on water at home, and those are over 45 pounds when full. That doesn't count as exercise but it was the most active thing I did today. And some days will be like that. Life does its thing and we just have to dance along. My eating has been on track 100% and I'm happy to say I don't have any cravings or desires to binge. Things are going pretty good. What I'm doing now is sustainable but probably won't lead to massive growth (or weight loss, as it were). I know I should be sticking to my Peleton app in order to push myself. Still, I'm in a much better place now than I was last week. If I stick with it, progress will come.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that you are having back and knee issues! I think it’s a great idea to add the physical therapy exercises! Definitely strengthen the weak spots! It sounds like you know your issue…but as I read your post one thing kept coming to mind….make sure your shoes are good. When I wear improper shoes OR shoes that are old…meaning the support is broken down, (even though the shoe still looks goofs) my knees and back hurt. Like I said, you know what is up, but just wanted to throw that thought out there! (Especially since it hits me by surprise each time…I’ll be complaining about my knees, hip/back for weeks before I realize the age of my shoes!)

    The Zumba that I’ve been watching /following on YouTube is. Zumba Sulu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanos for that info! You are right about me needing new shoes. I have been putting it off for no good reason but it's probably time to get some new ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts