Speed Bumps

Yesterday was successful on so many levels.  At work, there was a catered lunch brought in by one of the sales reps, and it was salad, steamed veggies, brown rice and some type of greasy looking meat pocket thing.  I just grabbed some salad w/out dressing and some steamed veggies to eat along with the turkey burger I brought for lunch, and it turned out to be a really satisfying lunch.  I didn't even think about the array of cupcakes laid out next to the food.  I also got a chance to talk to the doctor who had been causing me some stress at work, and at least we got the air cleared.  Then , after work I started my first installment of split training, and it was pretty intense.  I trained bis, tris and shoulders.  By the time I finished, my arms felt unusable.  That is the kind of training I need to be doing in order to see results at this point, and it was a great release from recent stress.  I stayed on plan the entire day and the training felt really productive. 
I am still doing cardio every morning before work, trying to vary my intervals so I'm not doing the same intensity or same length of interval each time.  My favorite, the one that makes me feel really good when I'm done is 60secs highest intensity with 30 secs lowest intensity.  I did that one today, and I pushed myself to see exactly how fast I could walk for the high intesity cycle.  It shaved nearly 2 minutes off my time, and my leg muscles were beginning to ache by the time I got to my apartment grounds.  As I was doing my final high intensity cycle, I crossed a speed bump in the driveway, and nearly tripped.  I found it humorous that a speed bump could nearly slow me down on foot, as if telling me I was going too fast.  But I just kept on going, finishing strong, gratful that I didn't trip on that silly speed bump.
Of course, me being me, I saw the symbolism in the event.  There are always going to be things to try and trip me up, but I have to look at them like the speed bump, they may make me loose a little footing, but they will not change my course.  Last night as I was admiring my newly developed/uncovered arm muscles, I thought to myself, "I am going to get where I am going!"  and it was a very powerful feeling.  I will get where I want to be, there is no doubt.  And I don't care how long it takes.  I am still seeing changes in the mirror, which continues to motivate me, and reaffirms that this is really happening.  A year ago, I was an obese, depressed woman, barrelling toward 40 and feeling like I was 60 years old already.  I can't wait to see where I'm at in another year, because right now I feel vital and young and ready to take on the next 40 years!  What a gift fitness has been, it's too bad it's not one you can give away to others, because I wish this feeling for everyone.  Perhaps that is the greatest reward for putting in the work, knowing that you did it for and by yourself.  And man, does it feel wonderful!
Have a great day, and watch out for those speed bumps! 

Comments

  1. Great speed bump allegory. You have come a long way in a very short time which only goes to show that you can achieve what you set your mind to if you are prepared to put in the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tony. At some point we all need to take what we need from life without guilt or appology.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts