Thrift Therapy and Down Time

Yesterday was one of those days where I was running late all day.  I was late for an appointment, and again for my class last night.  Nothing of major concern, I think sometimes I just try to do too much in too little time, and sometimes it just backfires. 
I did manage, in between an agency interview (a class project) and class, to get a little thrift shopping done.  It's always a good sign when I spend a decent amount of money at the thrift store, it means I found some great deals.  I have such a hard time finding jeans and yesterday I figured out why.  I carry the majority of my weight in my waist, and my legs are much smaller by comparison.  So, my legs should be in a size 12, but my waist needs a 16.  No wonder I get so confused about my body image.  I am a mutated mix of sizes, and with only some of my weight lost, I am an oddly-shaped duck. I have come to terms with it.   But I did find some flattering jeans yesterday, three pair to be exact, and I even scored 3 equally flattering tops and a brand new pair of Marco Sarto shoes for an absurdly low price.  It was worth being a few minutes late to class for my little shopping exscursion.  I have been feeling like I am spread too thin lately, with no time to do the little things I need to, like get a haircut and do a little thrift shopping.  The haircut finally happened over the weekend, and the shopping yesterday.  It was more than just having new clothes that I feel good in, it was about finally finding a little slice of time for myself, where I am not Mom or Wife or Student or Optician.  And as I was speeding off to class, the impending snow storm cast a grey over the city that felt suspiciously like a spring rain.  My spirits were screaming spring.  It was a much-needed break from the stressed-out schedule I normally keep.  The sky was grey, but I was casting my own sunshine.
Class was cut extremely short, due to said forthcoming storm (which ended up being mostly rain for this area anyway, but north of my city they got nearly 2 ft of snow), so I got to spend a cozy night with my family, and recoup and rest.  It felt really good to take things at a slower pace for once. 
Staying on track has been a breeze this week, it's already so natural for me that I don't have to be so aware of what I'm doing all the time.  And when food can be such a stumbling block for me, not finding myself thinking about food is a relief.  It makes life so much easier.  I also ran yesterday, in increasing intervals at 5mph, with my longest interval being 3 minutes.  I think this weekend I might try a mile at 5mph, just to see where I stand.  I need to be running more often or I will not be able to finish my 5K at a better time than the last one I ran.  Yesterday's run made my muscles a little sore today, so I skipped working out this morning and caught up on a little sleep.  Yawn.  Stretch.  I feel really relaxed today, for once.   Just one more night of class this week, and the rest of the week should be a breeze to get through.  I am already priming myself, mentally for my weekend run and thinking of strategies to allow myself to enjoy my weekend and still not go off the rails.  I feel really positive about the way things are going.  It's amazing what a little bit of down time can do to restore a person! 
My new favorite song is  Blackout by Breathe Carolina. http://youtu.be/-urWdqlgYiA  I think they are singing about a good alcohol binge, but I first heard the song when I was super pumped up about signing up for this 5K, and I was in a really positive place and everytime they say "I'm only getting started and I won't blackout" conjures up a mental image of me running and triumphing.  Can you guess what song will be on my iPod for the run? 
Halfway through the week, friends, I think we can make it!  Have a great Wednesday!

Comments

Popular Posts