Crazy Day

I have been doing good, despite being incredibly busy!  Work has been non-stop madness, my kids are taking HOURS to do their homework, and by the time my kids are ready for bed I am DRAINED.  Yesterday I did some cardio, just 20 minutes, split between the bike, elliptical and treadmill.  I like the bike because I can tell it is hitting some of the muscle groups that I need to strengthen, but my muscles tire after about ten minutes.  I will work my way up to more time.  I've never been able to be comfortable on an elliptical, the stride is too long for my short legs, and before my surgery I tried it a few times and it KILLED my knee.  But I wanted to give it a shot to see if it helped my hip.  It felt OK for about five minutes, then my knee started hurting so I hit the treadmill.  It felt good to be on it again, and it brought back good memories.  I walked backwards and sideways for a while and I was actually having fun- so much that I wished I would've gotten up earlier so I could have stayed longer.  I was doing homework with my kids for 4 hours last night, and by the end of it, my throat was getting sore and swollen and my nose stuffy.  Boo.  So, needless to say, I didn't get up to workout this morning.  I did do a little stretching, and I used my new foam roller I got last night.  It feels like a deep tissue massage, which actually hurts.  But I'm thinking that might be helpful.  
My hip was so out of whack today, really stuff/stuck, snapping and grinding like crazy.  It makes me feel like I have to take really short steps and that it will give out on me at any time.  Then tonight as I was walking to my car after work, a fresh layer of snow was covering the cement, and for some reason my company put some really slippery sealant on the cement so if you just look at it wrong you slip.  I slipped twice, not going down, but needing to stabilize myself on my stretched-too-far hip.  Sharp pains shot up my leg and I felt like my quad muscle was going to tear.  I made it to my car, limping like a cripple, and when I got inside I cried out of frustration and pain and stress.  The roads were so slippery and dangerous, I was sliding all over.  The whole time I was driving home, cursing the roads/snow I was very aware of how my stress level was making me want to self-soothe with food.  That's a big step, just realizing what was happening helped me not react to it.  My mind quickly shifted to healthy, warm meals I could make instead.  In the end, even after one last slip in my driveway, I didn't even eat when I got home, I fought with the kids about homework until they succumbed and slowly got through it.  Then I ate a sensible meal and took a hot bath.  I kept noticing my face was scrunched up in a scowl while I was in the most relaxing place within my world.  I could feel the strain in my glute/back from slipping.  Not sure if it's worth reporting, as I can't see this needing any medical attention.  
Anyway, that was my whacky day.  Kind if stressful, but I had a small victory and resisted drowning my stress in fat and sugar-laden trash.  I'm also doing good cutting back on caffeine, which is positive.  
Hoping tomorrow is a little less crazy!  I am happy tomorrow is Friday!


Popular Posts