Freaky Popping Friday

So yesterday went in the books with no workout in.  I came to terms with it in the evening, when I found a little free time and was considering getting on the bike.  I told myself that there was a reason I felt extra drained all day and it was a sign that my body needed a break.  So I used my foam roller to work out some of the kinks in my back and shoulderblades.  It is the first time I have used it in some time, and it was so odd because it felt totally different now that the "shelf" that hangs above my butt has gotten smaller/flatter.  I could actually feel the roller working on my tight areas in my lower back and it felt really good.  At one point, when I got into a really tight area of my lower back, one that has been holding my hip hostage for months, I felt a tight, hot stretching pain and immediately stopped.  You are not supposed to use it on your spine, but to me that's like asking me not to stick a Q-tip in my ear, it feels so good I can't help myself.  Luckily, I felt a huge POP and something really good released and I felt like I could move freer than I've been able to in a good long time.  About an hour later, after sitting on the bed talking with my son, I got up to do something and the opposite side of my body, from lower back to shin and everything in between, was hurting as if there was a nerve being pinched.  Not sciatica, I have dealt with that and know what it feels like, this was worse than any sciatica I've ever had.  I was worried I really messed something up with my back on that roller. 
My husband and I both slept horribly, him from stress and me from not eating a heavy enough or fatty enough meal to keep me from getting hungry in the night, but when my alarm went off at 4:20 am I still decided to get up and get something done.  That strange pain was still there.  I started dancing, hoping it would pop and feel better.  It did not.  I had to stop dancing to walk a few times because man that thing was irritating me.  Eventually, with a bunch of stretching, I felt something pop and all was right with my world again.  I am back to my normal, planned food today, taco salad for breakfast, southwest chopped salad for lunch.  I will be a little calorie-deprived today because just as I was a few nibbles into my morning snack, a little girl barfed all over my sales floor and it took the cleaning company more than an hour to come deal with it.  I can't eat when that's around me.  Shortly after it was cleaned up, my boss sent me to lunch, and I was not sure if I was hungry or nauseated, but I was able to eat and I feel fine.  Lately Fridays have had a strange, "off" feel to them for my family and I am looking forward to just being home tonight and being cozy with family.  We'll probably have tacos tonight because we have leftovers from a dinner my husband cooked for his freemason's lodge last night.  I'm a little sick of the mexican stuff, but what's one more meal? 
Now my Friday challenge is, once again, deciding what the heck to eat next week because I go to the grocery store early Saturday morning.   One thing I do know is that I miss the fresh veggies when I don't eat them.  That's a really positive development in this whole thing because I've never been a huge fan of veggies.  Maybe next week I'll make it a greek salad, with falafel and a greek yogurt/dill/cucumber sauce.  As I type that I just took a bite of the same old chopped salad I've been eating for 2wks and wished I was eating that instead. 
Still really cold here for one more day, then we'll get a bit of a reprieve.  I may take walks when the weather is nice, we've had way less snow than usual and the roads are nice and clean so I might as well take advantage of it. 
Well, I hope you all are having a fantastic Friday.  Psst: send some of that good juju over here, would ya?

Comments

Popular Posts