Progress

As luck would have it, deciding not to get on some restrictive diet actually worked out to my advantage this weekend, and I had one of the cleanest weekends on record, and it really felt effortless. 
I think I am getting to figure out some of my triggers, which is key to sticking with things and being able to turn down things that are just an emotional trigger or a food memory from times when my tastebuds were numbed by whatever slew of other things I'd eaten right before eating that desired thing.  It's almost like a game.  When I find myself considering something unproductive I first try to figure out why I want that, almost as I would try to do if it were my kids asking for that item.  I often catch myself asking my kids, "Are you really hungry or are you just bored?"  So now I do that sort of thing with myself.  I have read that many times when you think you are craving food you are actually thirsty, and I find that to be true sometimes, especially because of the diuretic I am on for blood pressure.  So food is getting easier and a lot less triggering.  Sure, I have to think more about WHY I'm wanting something but in the end, 9 times out of 10 I can walk away without it, especially if I am not physically hungry.  Now, if something keeps calling and calling my name after a few hours, I know I am better to have a little bit of it, feel satisfied then move on.  In the past I would have tried to deny it and beat myself up for being weak and wanting something that's bad for me, but then I would overeat cheese and olives or bread or something else, hoping it could substitute, but it never did.  In the end, I would end up consuming way more calories than if I just had a conservative serving of the thing I really wanted.  So there has been some regulating of foods, making sure my brain is getting the message than ALL foods are OK as long as I don't eat huge servings.  It has been working to keep my food brain very sane and satisfied.
I have been pretty active too.  Not necessarily in the typical way, but in doing a lot of reorganizing and cleaning in the house.  It is a ton of walking, bending, lifting and pushing.  Yesterday I spent more than 8 hours cleaning, sorting out clothes closets and book shelves, and donating items.  That may not sound like work to some, but by the end of the work my fitbit showed me my heart rate:
I was in fat burn zone just from cleaning and organizing my house!

and later that evening, for the first time since I got my new Fitbit Versa, I went over 10,000 steps and it buzzed with so many fireworks in celebration of hitting my goal!  It seems trivial but it made me feel really good! 
Today I had my first visit with my interim doctor since she prescribed the blood pressure meds in July.  I was fasting because I saw that she had some labs ordered for me, so I didn't have medicine or food in me.  My blood pressure was down to 132/80 (without meds) and my weight was down to 185, which means I officially hit a 15 pound loss!  Not earth shattering, but also a small victory I will most certainly take!  The doctor was more pleasant to me today, she said everything is looking good and to keep doing what I'm doing.  That is what you want to hear from the doctor!  So things are going pretty great right now.  I feel like this is smooth and easy and I have found my groove again.  I'm so gratful for second, third and 20th or 50th chances in this.  I hope everyone trying to make their way in this weight loss journey knows there's never too many tries to get it right, you just have to keep trying, finding a way that works for who you are.  I may not be blazing trails but I am moving forward.  And that is way better than the alternative!

Comments

Popular Posts