Head Colds can't Stop Me!

Oh how life can be so fickle sometimes!  The very day I wrote my last post about feeling so good, I started getting a scratchy throat.  By the end of the following day I had a full blown head cold.  I do not get sick often so I try not to complain, but I did end up having laryngitis and needing to take a day off on Friday.  Today is the first day since Thursday that my voice sounds pretty much normal.  I think I am finally getting over the hump.
My period started right at the same time as the cold came on, which left me feeling very drained.  Despite that, I am trying to be more active.  I took my dog for decent length walks Friday, Sat and Sunday.  My hips still hurt because I haven't been strengthening my legs, but I will admit I hurt a lot less than I had.  I have been experimenting with different posture during walking, and even trying to change my stride a little.  One thing I noticed is that my legs aren't as close together as before, there's less there, but I was still walking with a bit of a wide stance to avoid my legs rubbing together.  When I fixed that and straightened out my spine a bit, I had less pressure in my hips.  So, I think in the long run, I will get the hip pain under control.  I am going to try to be more conscious about my posture while sitting at work as well, because the hips are involved in all of that. 
Last night I was up for a while coughing, but when I finally slept I fell into wonderful dreams about traveling the California coast by a train that had a glass roof so you could see the stars.  It was a very tranquil dream and it still felt really great when I woke, but waking in the middle of a dream always makes me feel super, extra tired.  So getting moving without popping a caffeine pill first thing in the morning was a lot tougher today than it has been recently.  I still have one caffeinated drink (Mio energy in water) and today I made it a little stronger to help wake me.  It was sprinkling and overcast this morning when I took my dog out, my favorite kind of weather, especially when it's still warm out.  That helped me feel more awake too.  By the time I finished breakfast I had about a half hour before getting ready for work, I begrudgingly got on the bike.  I put in 15 minutes of real workout, then a 3 minute cool down.  Between the work, the extreme humidity and the new higher dose of my diuretic, I was a hot, sweaty mess, but I felt so good.  And when I got off the bike, I noticed how much better my hips felt because I really used my leg and butt muscles.  This is the ticket for me.  Yes, I'd love to be outside walking, I sure do like to be in nature, but I once I strengthen my muscles walking won't cause me pain and I can do it as much as I like.  So next spring and summer I will have that as a more viable option. 
Today's personal victory came by surprise.  I can tell I'm losing weight slowly but it's really hard to measure because I wear a lot of skirts and dresses and elastic waisted stuff, which sort of conforms to shape so it pretty much always feels like it fits.  My bath towel, though, is a different story.  When I get out of the shower I wrap myself in my towel; it hasn't closed without a gap in years and I usually don't really think about it unless someone is in the vicinity and I am desperately trying to hide myself or position the gap in an acceptable place.  Today when I wrapped my towel it closed.  There was no gap!  I don't know if this is new or if I just haven't noticed it until today.  It is such a small thing, but it sure felt fantastic!  Its been so long since I have been on a good roll, doing good things for myself and feeling really alive.  I think this is maintainable, it just takes planning and doing.  Sounds simple, doesn't it?  Once I focused my mind on my heart health and stopped worrying about what I was sacrificing, it felt like my decision was already made, nothing to reconsider or ponder.  I want my heart to be healthy, I want my body to be able to move with ease.  The answer has always been there, I was just to stuck by past emotional pain to take action.  I healed some of those places by reading books by Geneen Roth, focusing on the pain, finding things that make me feel wonderful, and being mindful about emotional gut-reactions that seem out of place or overexaggerated.  I started meditating more and challenging/changing old thought patterns and I started to choose to be happier and let some things go that aren't serving me.  It time to not be on a diet, to figure out my own thoughts and to examine what I was letting hurt me from so many years ago, those things I held onto by choice and I could just as easily release them.  At the end of the year I will turn 46 and I am happy to say that right now, today, I feel younger than I have in years!  Now that's worth everything it took to get here.  And then some.

Comments

Popular Posts