Good Start

Last week was sort of a test for me, to see if I have the grit to get up early to work out and eat clean and track calories. 
       
                                             The wins:
  • I worked out 4 out of 5 days which made me feel better physically and mentally
  • I was more awake during the first half of my day
  • My metabolism was stoked, I was constantly hungry
  • Tracking kept me eating clean all 5 days
                                            The not so great stuff:
  • I was exhausted, seriously drained by the end of the week
  • My sleep quality felt reall low compared to normal
  • I was sick of thinking about tracking food
  • I probabaly didn't eat very realistically or intuitively because I was tracking
  • No weight loss
I would say that the wins out way the losses and I should get back on track because long-term results don't happen over the course of 5 days.
I only tracked part of a day on Saturday and didn't track on Sunday.  Saturday night, in an effort to not have stuff go to waste, I cooked up some BBQ popcorn chicken from the freezer and we had some sweet potato puffs (like tater tots) and onion rings with it.  Total junk food, and I really didn't like or want it (the sweet potato puffs were to die for, but the rest was not appetizing to me even though I ate a little) but we had a huge family sized bag that the kids were letting sit and I didn't want it to get freezer burnt or go to waste.  It was more fat, salt and sugar than I've been eating so I didn't end up needing a bedtime snack that night and I drank a ton of water.  I can't say it made me feel that good.  On Sunday I had my usual breakfast and finished up my grapes with a Babybel cheese as a snack, but at church we always have a potluck lunch after service.  I had an open faced BBQ pork sandwhich, a couple tablespoons of baked beans, and some potato salad with a small serving of homemade mac and cheese which was more like dried out, overcooked noodles with dried veggies and barely any cheese.  Yech.  I didn't have any dessert like I usually do.  Later that afternoon I took my kids to a park and we stopped at Subway for dinner so I had a 6 inch sub on bread.  I was definitely in the mode of "I'll start back again on Monday".  And I did get right back on track yesterday, but not with the workouts.  Today I purposely didn't re-set my alarm for 4:30 because I just felt so very drained by the end of last week and I was probably inaccurately blaming it on the loss of sleep due to the hormonal shifts that are happening for me right now. 
So I will get back on track.  Today I feel so groggy, stiff, I have sniffles and watery eyes and I just feel like a couple more hours of sleep, a couple more cups of coffee and some slow, steamy yoga or something.  If only my days were freed up to do that sort of thing!  Since they are not, and I have to work for a living, I am planning to do some yoga tonight after work, and follow it with a hot steamy bath and then paint my nails while watching one of my favorite shows.  There might be some hot tea involved too.  We are in a pattern of gloomy, rainy, colder-than-expected weather and it is weighing down my mood lately too, so I may also use my Happy Light tonight too.  In Ayurveda, I am naturally someone who is cold, dry and thick and the recommendation for me are always things that warm, and it really makes sense to me so I am really looking forward to the heat therapy tonight!  Sometimes, we have to take care of ourselves and pamper ourselves as a way of self-love and self-healing.  I am ready for a little bit of that! 
Going forward, I have toyed with some different ideas of trying different times of day for my workouts so that I don't have to compromise sleep.  I could fairly easily work something into my lunch break, that would be walking as there isn't much else I can do at work.  I could also try out after-work stuff, if it's planned and I don't want to let myself down, I may have success with that.  My boys are usually chilled out doing their own thing in the evening. 
And one last thing I noticed that I want to change is this idea that calories don't matter and workouts are needed on the weekends.  The lax weekends have always been a struggle for me, and lately my weekends have been so much work that I look forward to the work week starting so I can have a bit of a break.  Still, a workout can be as simple as taking the dog for a real walk on the weekends, that's not such a huge sacrifice. 
So I'm still working on some things.  I do want to have my bloodwork impress my doctor when I go back next year, and falling into old familiar patterns with food and laze will not make that happen.  I'm not self-bashing, I'm just being real.  I am lazy and I don't like exerting myself but I'm going to have to push if I want to keep myself healthy as I age.  I want to get into my 80's and not have to take anything but vitamins and thyroid meds.  Lets see if that's possible!

Comments

Popular Posts