Lessons

In an effort to simplify my grocery shopping and meal planning, I inadvertently chose lighter food this week.  My lunch is a 1/2 to a cup of cottage cheese with some fresh blueberries, an apple for a snack, and I don't have my favorite bars this week
I do not own the rights to this photo, but these are seriously droolworthy bars!
So I am substituting with a lower-protein bar.  All of this is adding up to me being HANGRY so much of the day.  I need more calories, fiber or fats apparently.  With my stomach growling so much this week, I am noticing how uncomfortable that makes me, not just physically but mentally.  I did grow up in a household where food was withheld for things like not finishing a hated food or being naughty.  My mother didn't follow through with it often because I cried and cried when my tummy growled and she would cave and let me have something to eat.  She was doing what her parents did, thinking the negative reinforcement would be enough to make me behave how she wanted me to.  It didn't.  I would sometimes find myself gagging on a food I didn't like, to the point where I knew (at that age) if I forced myself to eat it I would throw up, but still she persisted, and I would be made to sit there for an hour or more after dinner, with my plate (usually it was vegetables that were left) and told I couldn't leave the table until it was gone.  My parents were pretty financially unwell so I get the reasoning (not to mention the nutritional piece) but using withdrawl of food as a punishment makes for some pretty negative emotions that crop up when my stomach is growling, even 40 years later.  When I was old enough to start babysitting, and especially when I had a job, a good deal of my money went to having my own food that no one could eat or take from me.  I earned it, I get to eat it all and no one can say no.  So so many issues to have to overcome.  I sure wish I'd grown up in today's time where these antiquated ideals on how to raise children are a thing of the past, and we now know that how children are redirected from negative behaviors can really affect their mental health and well being for years to come.  But wishing doesn't make it so, and maybe I am a much stronger person because I have all this to overcome. 
My husband, on the other hand, has just started doing intermittent fasting.  He said it's going well.  He just eats within a certain window of time during the day and evening, and skips breakfast as part of his fast.  He cheerfully said, "It kind of feels good to give my body a break from all that work (of digesting)."  I don't think, in the current mindset, I could do that.  I wake up famished and it feels so bad to be hungry.  Sure, I could have some coffee or tea which would give me the sensation of fullness for a bit, but it seems counter-productive to me, especially for me with my hypothyroidism.  My metabolism is already broken, skipping meals seems not smart.  But he's younger and very fit so maybe he'll get something out of it.  He doesn't need to lose any weight so I don't really know why he's doing it, but that's his journey. 
I am finding myself missing the extra activity I was doing while my kids were on spring break.  I did my stationary bike or danced all week and it felt good to start out my day with some extra energy.  It isn't as likely to happen in the morning while the kids are in school, I don't want to give up any sleep for it ( I get roughly 7 hours a night and that already doesn't feel like enough).  So that means, if I truly want to work out, it will have to be after work.  At least until they go on summer break in June.  I may try it and see how a nighttime workout feels.  When I was doing my steps challenge I tried to get it all done in daytime, but there a few times when I had some steps left to get in after work, and I gotta say, I never felt like doing it, but once I got going and the music lifted my spirits, it felt pretty dang good!  Music is a must, right?
So the three things I have learned this week are that I have some big issues with the physical aspects of being hungry, I need to plan my meals/snacks better so I don't get to that HANGRY point, and it would probably feel good if I started working out in some form after work.  I knew number 3 but having motivated myself enough in the past.  I will be better prepared with food next week and I will start analyzing/thinking through the hunger pang issues so it is less of a trigger to comfort eat/ over-eat which I did last night when I got home.  All good lessons I am picking up!  Moving on!

Comments

Popular Posts