Comfort vs growth

I had to finish yesterday's post this morning so there are two posts going up today. I do like the idea of staying consistent with my posts, especially once I make the leap into 'turning the fun bus around' after the end of the year.  It will help keep me accountable and teach me things I need to learn to stay consistent with this long-term. 
It feels a little strange delving into a program where no foods are off-limits.  That doesn't mean I can binge, I will have to budget the calories accordingly. 
I finally entered my real weight into my Fitbit (195, ugh) and my goal weight (130, it's a guess) and based on my current activity level it tells me I need to stay under 1975 calories per day in order to lose weight and reach my goal. I'm no expert but that seems like a lot of calories.  When I was going to a doctor outside my clinic (oh the horror) in the interim, she coldly and flatly told me to go on a 1,500 calorie/day diet.  I thought that was a bit extreme but when I was tracking back then, I wasn't too far off from there, in fact I was taking in less calories than that sometimes when I would miss my afternoon snack due to being busy at work or not being hungry. While nothing is off limits food-wise, I do know that if I am going to be able to keep my 3 meals plus 3 snacks a day, it will have to be pretty clean food in order to not go over budget.  I will have to be careful with the cheese, butter and nuts which are calorie-dense.  It will take some research and some work, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy, isn't that how the saying goes?
This morning I woke with a horrible sinus headache and no part of me wanted to exercise, but I decided even a half hour of slow walking would count as activity and it might make me feel better.  Funny thing is that I burned a good number of calories and I didn't break a sweat.  It definitely didn't wake me up the way good heart-pounding cardio does, but I did it and nothing bad happened.  I keep thinking ahead to the weekend, sleeping in and then Christmas Day and New Year's day off to sleep in as well.  I do need to make more effort to get in bed earlier now that I'm getting up at 4:15am.  Next week my kids are off off school so I will be able to sleep until 5am which doesn't sound like much, but it feels fantastic!  Then there's only 5 months of school left for them once they go back after winter break, that will go so fast.
I hope to be looking and feeling so much better by summer. Its really motivational to think forward to the results of my labor.  I know ahead of time that I will challenges that I will have to overcome without relying on old, easy habits.  Stress, celebrations, eating out, anxiety, etc. I have always either used food to comfort the stress and anxiety or used the celebration as an excuse to eat freely and if I really want to lose weight and better my health I will have to overcome these comfortable patterns.  They really do hold me back and I really do believe this:
I do not own the rights to this photo

If you never go outside your comfort zone, you never learn or grow.  Here's hoping comfort, learning and growth all come bundled up with a pretty little bow on top as a reward for my efforts.  I'm ready for the New Year.  Who's with me?

Comments

Popular Posts