Inspired

Last night I had a little down time and after reading a recent post on Sean's blog I decided to see where he started from and made my way all the way back to his first post.  I read a few early posts and it got me wondering how it all came together.  as I skipped ahead a year (and he was still losing and feeling great) I realized that I was suddenly becoming pumped up over reading about his success.  He didn't do any crazy fad diet, he just reduced his caloric intake and exercised.  I can do that.  Granted, anyone trying to do just that will be faced with a litany of other "stuff" that comes up and having to take away one of our most comforting coping mechanisms, junk food, so I knew that if I wanted to get into the meat of his story I should buy his book.
I do not own the rights to this photo

Being the impatient type I opted to download it onto my Amazon Kindle reader and set about reading it even though I was being interrupted frequently and it was almost bed time, I just wanted to keep the inspiration going.  I was easily absorbed into the story of being the outcast kid.  I identified with that boy, the ache of being teased and not having the self-esteem to stand up to the bullies, the passionately believing losing weight would "fix" my life.  I am having a hard time putting the book down because I can't wait to read how the "magic" came together. 
I am taking it with a grain of salt, only because sometimes telling myself I am going to be really strict and good backfires on me and I rebel like crazy.  I don't actually know if that's part of the plan or how he did it, I do believe the passion to not feel the way he felt (scared about his health) was outweighing the desire to comfort with food.  I hope there are some nuggets of advice on how to make that happen.  He does mention mental health and overcoming food addiction, both of which I know will be crucial in anything I want to have hope of sticking to.  So I'm really looking forward to getting into this book more.
This morning I felt so overly groggy when I woke that I couldn't bring myself to do some high-energy workout so I did some freestyle, self-guided yoga.  I stretched all the parts that have been ignored recently.  It felt so good to release some of that tension that has built up in the past weeks since I took a break from my daily yoga. 
Last week I found a video from a physical therapist/trainer that shows how you can test if you have weak hips/glutes This guy is cool  and after trying the tests in that video it led me to The fix for it, and I also found This video which is really challenging for me.  In fact, all of it is.  I knew I had weakness when I had surgery on my knee, and the physical therapist warned me to fix that weakness before the other knee became injured and here I am still having weak muscles.  After having that giant, painful snap in my hip last week I have been having irritating snapping hip syndrome in that hip.  This is the very thing that caused me intense enough pain to encourage me to start my care with my chiropractor a year ago, and led to learning how twisted my spine was. That snapping hip thing is another indicator that the support muscles are weak so I am causing my own misalignment by allowing it to continue.  So I want to make strengthening my hips and glutes a part of my weekly self-improvement.  I did research sesamoiditis and ankle sprain videos but was disappointed that there wasn't a ton of really good rehab advice for the first, and have been nervous to try the second because I am still in a decent amount of pain.  Interesting enough, when I was doing the tests for weak glutes/hips one of the tests is a lunge.  We did gobs of them in the yoga series I was doing and immediately when I went to squat with that leg, my ankle was screaming at me.  So that may have been how that whole thing came about, as it began hurting shortly after doing yoga one day.  I may have stretched it too far.  Now I know that, because my glutes are weak they account for my hips misaligning and trying to do lunges with weak glutes and misaligned hips leads to disaster. 
So I have some things to work on before I try to jump back into yoga.  I want to be able to do the poses as they are presented without hurting myself. 
Turning back to the book, I am really excited to dive in, it is inspiring me like nothing has in some time.  I do feel like I am at the edge, ready to give a good solid go at this again, there is hope again, and that is so uplifting.  For the first time in a while I feel excited to think about losing weight.  I will make sure I have all the tools I need at my disposal and when the time feels right I will launch!

Comments

Popular Posts