Dec 16

The weekend was pretty fun, I have to say.  It was a very pleasant mix of activity and inactivity, the later of which I am usually lacking a lot of on the weekends. 
Saturday afternoon my husband and one of my sons went out to a park on the bay of Green Bay.  The waves have aboslutely battered the land and since the temperatures dropped so early this year, the waves froze around the trees.  It made for beautiful views.

Getting to this park during the winter requires hiking down and up a very steep, curvy hill and right now it is snow and ice covered.  We had to be careful because we were slipping quite a bit trying to walk on the hill.  When we got down by the bay it was so pretty.  We saw some small ice shoves where the ice piled up on the shore but mostly it was draped as frozen waves all over. 
We had already agreed to go out for dinner that evening so we headed home to pick up our other son (who doesn't like adventures in the cold) and headed out to a local burger/craft brew place.  It's usually so busy the wait time is just ridiculous but we went around 3:30 on a Saturday and got in just fine.  To be honest, my husband loves this place, but there aren't a lot of choices on the menu. I admit that I was looking at the menu with after-the-new-year eyes.  If I were counting calories I don't think there is one thing on that menu that I could have and stay within calorie budget. All the burgers come with 2 patties, slathered in cheese and sauces.  There's only a couple items that aren't burgers too.  But my burger was OK.  It had chipotle aoli drowning it which I didn't love the flavor of, and it was so greasy and I was stuffed walking out of there.  It's not a place I have a huge desire to frequent, but it was OK for the time. 
I spent a good amount of time reading Sean's blog over the weekend.  I started from the beginning and have now read a good portion of the blogs to the point where he met goal weight.  I know from seeing his blog now that he has maintained the weight loss ( from 505 down to 230) and he started in 2008.  He is an exception to that statistic and he only used calorie counting and exercise.  After reading his book and his blog, he has been through so much, it really makes me appreciate his will and strength and it inspires me to really do it for myself.  This is my plan for the new year.  I feel excited about the idea of really trying again. 
My doctor sent me a message last Friday stating that she was checking in to see how my blood pressure is.  To be honest, I haven't checked it since July, back when I was being a lot less lenient with my diet. It was at a pretty decent place back then.  I took it again today, in the worst posible situation after running around and stressing out about almost being late to work, and I was trying to eat a sandwich before I had to go, etc etc.  My blood pressure wasn't where I want it.  I had just taken my medicine about 20 minutes prior to the blood pressure too, so that wasn't helping.  I will retake it tonight to see if it really is that high or it was me being too active right before taking it.
It did give me pause.  Here I thought I was "safe" because I don't have to go to the doctor until late April (for my yearly physical).  I had it all planned out that I would have lost a good deal of weight by then and my blood pressure and cholesterol would be looking good too because of all the weight I'm going to start losing after the new year.  But if my blood pressure is high she may want to bump up my dose and that isn't the direction I want to go.  It's time to fix these issues once and for all! 
It may seem counterproductive to wait for the new year to start a diet but I just can't forsee myself doing well during the holidays until I have been in a positive mindset for a bit.  I did retest my blood pressure after work and it was much better.  That was a huge relief.  Now I dream of getting the weight down so I can get off blood pressure meds altogether. Again.

Comments

Popular Posts