Lack of Focus Making Me Weak

A quick end-of-weekend post to set my mind straight.  The week ended on a positive note, I ended up sleeping in on Friday, and not getting up for cardio or weights.  I think I needed it moreso mentally than physically.  Despite my lack of exercise, my metabolism was roaring, which to me, meant that my body was using the break to heal.  I ate clean, but was horrible about keeping the intervals evenly spread.  It is a work in progress.
Yesterday my family and I took a short drive to a college town just south of where we live, to visit a children's museum that my youngest has been begging to go to, since seeing the colorful commercials around Christmas time.  It ended up being kind of a long day, and included an unplanned late lunch at a gyro place.  I had a chicken gyro and enjoyed every minute of it.  Eating "off plan" food used to make me cringe with guilt, but now the balance is shifting and so is my focus.  I need to let last week go, and just mentally prepare myself for the next leg of the journey.  After we got home, I was pretty tired from being out most of the day (and the caffeine wearing crash), but I decided to go for a walk, which turned into interval run/walk.  It is funny what happens to me, on the days when running itself doesn't hurt me, my knee feels irritated the rest of the day.  Vice versa, when the running feels irritating to my knee, it feels fine after I stop running.  Anyway,  I want to be able to run a 5K by the end of the summer, but when I clocked the distance I ran the other day, (and was so proud of) it was slightly less than a mile.  It's funny the gap between perception and reality.  So, I will see what can be done to get ready for the 5K.  It may not happen this year, and I would be OK with that, by next spring I will probably be able to handle a 5K nicely. 
Where my mind is falling into an all-too-familiar gap is in allowing myself to feel overwhelmed by the unpredictable and ever-changing schedule I am now faced with.  I'm happy I have been able to get up at 5am to workout without too much trouble, because if I didn't have that, my body would be going the direction I came from, instead of just maintaining, which is what I seem to be doing right now.  This is my last full week of work with the coworker who gave notice, so there will a stretch of time when I won't get my entire hour lunch break, and some days may have to just stay in my office, so I am going to take advantage of my hour long lunches this week and get an extra session of cardio in.  I need to keep the momentum going forward, all it will take is seeing the scale dip into the 150's and I will be back mentally and physically, but in order to get out that result, I have to put some extra work in.
So, my goals for this week are simple.  (1)Workout every morning before work- I am just going to listen to my body as to what I do each morning.  (2) 20-30 minutes cardio walking each lunch hour.  (3) Eat on-plan all week, trying my best to keep intervals between to 3 hours or less.
Tomorrow I will do boot camp to start of my week strong.  I have to be at work for 10 1/2 hours, and I am going to need that metabolism boost to get me through.  I know once I pull my focus back to my journey, I will be able to get things back where they belong.  Right now, all I want to do is eat things I shouldn't eat.  I know this, too will pass, as I am not giving in to my irrational desires.  For now, I am a little relieved that the weekend is done, now it is time to get back to business.  Hope you have a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts