What Works

Today was day 18 in the Yoga with Adriene 30 day challenge on YouTube.  It feels deceptively easy for the warm up, and then she makes you do a balance pose, and then she pushes it a little bit farther. Today we did a balance pose where one foot was twisted up onto the top of the opposite thigh, then we bent over.  That was all fine and good, of course my balance was a little sketchy, but it was the trying to stand upright again without collapsing that was the real challenge.  My legs and butt muscles were burning.  She showed an advanced technique where, while holding the above balance, you go into a one-legged squat with your foot still held on the top of the opposite thigh
I do not own the rights to this image

No way am I ready for that and I did not even attempt because I struggle to even do a two-legged yoga squat.  But I feel confident that I will get there someday. Adriene (the instructor) made a reference to the way balancing poses are trying to use the opposing forces to steady ourselves, and she made the link from body to life.  It is so true.  So many opposing things/ people/ feelings try to unsteady us, but if we learn to take a little bit of each thing and not go too far to any extreme, we can achieve balance.  What a beautiful connection.
I'm happy that my focus has been the yoga and not the food.  I am eating really clean this week and haven't had too much trouble doing so since I have been starting my day of with some exercise.  I only have notions of cravings if I go too long in between eating.  My metabolism seems to be faster now, I do tend to get hungry faster than before.  I will adjust my menu next week to include more healthy fats.  My menu this week, if anyone is interested:
breakfast:Plain greek yogurt + orange extract+ hemp seeds and unsalted pistachios
snack:Lower sugar peanut butter+celery+ raisins
Lunch:Veggie wrap: low carb tortilla with onion and chive cream cheese, spinich, carrot sticks and raw sunflower nuts
snack:Protein bar: One brand or Luna bar with 9grams of sugar or less
Dinner: Chick'n (meatless) soft tacos with spinach, onion, cheese and sour cream
Bedtime snack: Apple with peanut butter

As I cruised around the grocery aisle recently I was inspired by a TGIFridays frozen dinner I saw, it is chicken and brussel sprouts with lemon butter sauce.  I think I will make my own version with far less sodium and have that for lunch next week.  I love brussel sprouts.
Anyway, not much new to report.  My muscles are still sore most days from the increased activity, I am really challenging myself to make every move count so I get the most out of this precious half hour every morning.  I think a nice hot bubble bath this evening will be in order, a good reward for all the effort I have been putting forth.  Here's to sticking with what works!  I sure hope it lasts!

Comments

  1. I can’t wait to celebrate with you when you CAN do that pose!!! Go you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly brag about it when/if I do! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts