Oops!

Today is my first day trying to switch to a more positive mindset from the roots up.  I am really trying to be more mindful about my judgements of things and people.  I had one major slip up this morning, but I had many victories before that.  As I was dropping off my sons at their high school yesterday, we were remarking on how terrible people drive (and walk) in that parking lot, and I was vocal about how I wish these people would learn how to drive better before they're allowed to bring their cars in that lot.  Today as we approached, my older son who is in the process of practicing driving and is very aware of laws/rules of driving exclaimed, "Here we go again through the idiot lot!"  I was thinking about how I behaved yesterday and instead of agreeing with him and furthering my negativity I said, "Well, it gives you a great opportunity to practice being aware of everything going on around you which is a vital skill to have when you are driving."  I was proud of myself for putting a positive spin on it. 
I caught myself reacting to a Facebook post someone put up, not something I would post, and I initially said a negative thing in my head about the poster needing to mature a little.  Then I realized, like everything in life, the picture passes, the moment passes, and there is another piece of input to assess and another and none of it matters a month from now or a year from now.  I started to think about situations at work that really drive me nuts for reasons I haven't defined yet;  little aggrivating things that happen during my day, and I realize that those moments pass so fast if I let them instead of holding onto them.  Yesterday I had an elderly gentleman who nuzzled his way in close to a customer I was working with, interrupted me in the middle of a sale and made us feel rushed to get done with our sale so I could help him.  After I put a screw in his glasses he said, "What?  Did you have a hard time finding a screw that would fit?"  I took it that he was complaining about how long it took me to do the repair.  I have been doing this for 18+ years so when someone questions my ability in this job I get offended.  I have also had older people question whether there was a man working who could fix their glasses, and when I told them I am the optician on sight they are reluctant to put their trust in me.  I know its a generational thing but it makes my defenses fly up.  So this guy yesterday made that comment and I reacted emotionally saying, "Did you have a problem with how long it took me to do the repair?"  He was hard of hearing and cut me off stating he didn't hear me.  I simply handed him the glasses and said, "Here are your glasses, all fixed up!  You are good to go."  I don't like it when I let my emotions get the better of me, and that was not a professional way for me to respond to him and I hope I don't get reported if someone else overhears me.  There are so many better ways I could have said it and I will strive to do better next time. 
Today as I was just arriving to work, I had a slip up.  We share a road that leads to our parking ramp, and also leads to a daycare just beyond our parking ramp.  It is an access road, very narrow, curvy and hilly.  A lady was riding on my bumper so tight I literally thought she was going to crash into me as I slowed to turn into the ramp.  In my head I said, "You are driving like an ass lady."  Oops!  I quickly converted the thought, reminding myself that we didn't crash and everything is fine and I have many more moments ahead of me that will give me more opportunities to make positive change in mindset.  It's a challenge but I believe it's one well worth fighting for.
Yoga Camp today, Day 3 for me, was pleasant.  We did a bunch of work on the floor, a decent amount of core work and I did fine.  My body is a little sore from the past few days, and the humidity makes me more aware of that as well, but in general everything is still agreeing with me. 
I am noticing something really positive lately, that I am using up food.  That may sound a little silly, but I have a bad habit of buying healthy foods and then only eat some of it and then abandon it for something quicker, tastier or just plain different.  So I know I have been sticking to my food, mostly all meals and that means I'm eating what I should be.  Dinner is the one sticky spot, by the time I get home for the evening I want something comforting and tastey, quick and easy.  Many times I stick a frozen bean burrito in the microwave and call it good.  Last night I didn't feel like having that so I actually cooked what I had planned, chick'n with brussel sprouts in butter.  It was so good I wanted to cook more brussels sprouts, but I didn't.  I don't know why brain just makes me think I don't want to eat that, it doesn't take much more effort or time than a burrito to prepare, and it tasted so good.  Chalk it up to another lesson learned. 
So that's what's up with me on a Thursday.  I am making progress.  I am awesome.  Life is good!  Happy Thursday!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts