My Body Speaks

For once I post on a Monday! 
The weekend was busy because it was our last weekend before our little family trip next Friday.  My dog got his first professional grooming, (he looks so stinking adorable now), I made my first brisket ever (It was sooooo delicious), did a ton of housework on Sunday and got the Halloween decorations up.  By the time my head hit the pillow on Sunday night, I was toast!
I woke to a very stiff back this morning, so much so that I actually skipped yoga today.  I over-did it yesterday.  There is a sensation that something needs to pop in my back and until that happens I am going to go easy on it.  I may use my foam roller on the supporting muscles to see if I can work out the kink. 
I skipped yoga on Sunday too.  I fully intended on doing it, but once I got into housework I didn't want to stop for fear I would lose my drive.  I got a lot done around the house, even got the vacuum cleaner cleaned out (not by choice) and cleaned the rollers from all the hair and string wrapped around it, blech!  I spent from 9:30am until 6pm cleaning.  My place really needed the TLC. 
It makes me feel odd not doing yoga for a couple days (again) but I know I always have the option of doing some after work if I really want to.  I know Day 6 is abs and I don't know if I'm ready for that today, so I might do some of Adriene's nighttime yoga which is more focused on gentle stretching than core strengthening and balances.
Today my younger son had his first physical therapy appointment to assess why his back hurts so much even though he is seeing a chiropractor for scoliosis.  She assessed how he stands and his posture and checked for weakness in the hips and legs.  My son did OK and we were given some exercises to do that involved tipping the pelvis up and down.  When I was trying to get a hang of what she was showing him, I did the move myself and wow did that hit the tight area of my lower back that is always stiff.  She explained that when we have pain in the back we start to unconsciously move it as if we have to move all the pieces together, so then we have to retrain ourselves to recognize that those parts of the spine can and should move independently of each other (the upper and lower spine).  So I confessed to him in the car that I think I need those moves too so I will be doing them with him.   Since I will be the one bringing him to all his appointments I think I will do all his physical therapy exercizes with him.  That makes him feel less alone in it and it will help me feel better physically too.
I plan to get back on the yoga train tomorrow, I just wanted to listen to my body today.  The last time I didn't, I ended up running a 5K on a torn meniscus in my knee and that was a long tough road to come back from (and required surgery). 
Not too flashy for a Monday post.  Maybe that's just the right speed to start the week out!  Hope everyone had a great Monday today!

Comments

Popular Posts