Back to School Chaos

The kids are finally back to school and that's good because I think I tried to numb myself into oblivion over the weekend.  Today is a continuation of how bad I felt this weekend, leaving a horrible taste in my mouth. 
Friday night the kids decided they wanted pizza so we ordered Domino's.  I had 3 slices and felt so over-full I regretted not stopping at 2 pieces, even though my brain was happy for that time it took to eat it and my brain always wants more and more of that pizza.  I was still so full at bedtime I didn't even eat a snack before bed. 
Woke up feeling OK on Saturday, but being that I slept in until 7am I knew I would be time-conscious all day.  Despite that, I didn't let that become an excuse to not do yoga and I did fine working it in.  Then grocery shopping. Then I had a little bit of down time before we had to get my dog to his first ever grooming appointment.  He is a fierce little guy who is pretty high-strung so I was really dreading it but I knew it would be awesome to have it done.  All the build up, my kids came along to help, and they said their system somehow scheduled me at another location clear across town, so we didn't get him groomed, which was a downer.  Not the end of the world I guess, but it irritated me. We ended up dropping the dog off at home and going out for ice cream.  It is actually frozen custard and it made my stomach feel awful! I had to save some of mine for the next day, it was so rich and heavy. Both days my stomach felt awful from it. I do not need to do that again!  I made dinner that night, a big pot of chili, which I had been craving for quite a while.  Throughout the day I ate whatever I wanted, sweets, salty, turkey sandwhich, and chili.  I went to bed feeling physically full but not happy.
Sunday was the worst day.  I woke up with a big headache, the kind that sits on your brow and makes you feel like sleeping all day.  I had no energy despite sleeping in.  I just wanted to melt into the furniture and I pretty much did.  I spent the morning looking at houses we can't get yet (waiting til the boys finish school in this district because it's top notch but we don't want to pay the high taxes to live in the district long-term).  It made me feel a little sad because I found some houses that I would absolutely love but I can't dream of pulling my kids out of their comfort zone so it's just a pipe dream for now.  Around 2pm I finally told myself I wasn't going to gain more energy as the day wore on, so I knew I had to go bring one son out to get new shoes for school.  We had a little fight right before that, and I realized how crabby and reactionary I was at that point.  We fixed it and moved on.  It was actually nice spending time alone with him, I am usually with the younger one if we split up and do things separately.  The shoe store was so busy and it took a good amount of time to find him a pair that fit good and that they had in his size.  Afterword we filled the watercooler jugs (ug they are heavy) and got home and I flopped back into the chair until doggy needed to go out.  I can't imagine how I could have been so exhausted from doing not that much.  That evening as I was noting how I still had that nagging headache, I realized I'd forgotten to take my blood pressure medicine that day.  Duh. 
Monday was the day I had to catch up and do all the things I didn't have energy to do Sunday.  After getting the dog out and having breakfast I started making Zucchini walnut muffins.  I had been gifted some zucchini and it was starting to get old so I had to make something.  I don't have a grater and I didn't feel like digging out my food processor (the particular cupboard it is in is a very delicate balance of disorder and I didn't feel like having to take a bunch of stuff out then re-arrange everything).  That meant I hand "shredded" the zucchini by chopping for nearly and hour, then I realized that the jar of vanilla extract in the cupboard was empty so I had to run out and get some vanilla.  It was irritating me so bad because a 1 hour recipe took me about 3 hours after all was said and done, and that meant a lot of stuff I had been planning to get done, didn't.  At 3 we went to the high school so my younger guy could meet his case worker and take a dry run through his schedule.  He has scoliosis and a really odd gate/stride and the smallest amount of walking causes him pain in his back and legs, then he gets really depressed and overwhelmed.  This is a much bigger school for him and the physical part of getting around stresses him out.  Luckily, my older son agreed to share his locker (because the younger one's motor skills interfere with him turning the combination lock) and also agreed to walk him into school and help him get to his first class.  This made my younger son feel so much better.  That makes a mom's heart so happy!  I worked non-stop until bedtime getting everything ready, packed, cleaned and put away.  I had over 12,000 steps logged and my body felt ready to be put out to pasture!
I did yoga this morning, after only catching a couple hours sleep, and it was an easy 13 minute "Be Kind" class that was just what I needed. I did not make time for yoga Sunday or Monday, and I felt simultaneously bad and good about the break.  I didn't budget my time wisely over the weekend in order to make the transition easier, so it all came crashing on my on Monday and I regretted doing that. 
So today is going to be hard to get through, being so sleep deprived, but I know that once Day 1 is behind us, things usually go a lot smoother and before we know it, we'll be reflecting back on this school year as another memory of all we have accomplished. 

Comments

Popular Posts