La La La La La...I'm Not Listening

Yesterday I said I was in tune enough with my body enough to know when it was time to take a day off.  I didn't lie, but sometimes I just don't listen.  My alarm was accidentally set for 5:30, which would have insured that I didn't have time to work out.  I say accidentally because every week day it goes off at 4:50am, but when I slept in yesterday I forgot to reset it to the normal time.  I woke up at 4:47am on my own, joints bitchin at me, despite the balmy 38 degree morning temp.  I stretched my sore legs as I put my shoes on, and an overwhelming, and uncharacteristic feeling overcame me.  I do not feel like running today.  I don't even feel like being on the treadmill at all today.  So I decided I would go to the cardio room anyway, and see what came of it.  There are also stationary bikes and an eliptical, and I figured if the desire just wasn't there, at least I could watch the news on the theatre-sized high def screen while I stretched some more. 
As soon as I got in the room, it made me feel like I needed to do something.  I looked at the treadmill, and it told me, "No way, fattie, you are not killing me today."  So I tried again on the eliptical.  What a sight I must have been.  I had to set it down to nearly the lowest settings on stride and resistence.  I only put up with it for 6 minutes before I switched to the treadmill and pushed out another 9 minutes of lower-than-normal intensity on it, which felt like walking on air compared to the eliptical.  Now, being the person I am, I will challenge myself to work more on the eliptical, to get "better" at it, and be able to increase my intensity.  While I was using it I did notice that after a minute or so, it didn't bother my knee as bad as last time I tried it, and it seemed to really be strengthening my leg muscles, which is a huge bonus both for running and for keeping the kneecap in place. 
Speaking of the kneecap, it has been slightly irritated since the 6mph interval run.  Then again, my whole body feels sore and tired right now, so why shouldn't my knee also.  If all goes well, I may try to do a mile at 6mp this weekend.  I don't know if I'm ready for that just yet, but I guess I'll find out.  As Garmins are way out of my budget right now, I am going to try to find a selection of songs that coincide with my 6mph pace, to help me keep my pace up while I run.  Now, I just need to find some sort of headphones or the like that will stay in/on my ears when I am running.  Any advice? 
It will be tough, but I am going to try to listen to my body this weekend.  If I don't feel good, and don't feel like working out, I know there's a reason.  I haven't had very many days off of the treadmill in the last month, even though it's just cardio, it is still exertion.
Well lovely readers, I hope you all enjoy the weekend!

Comments

  1. I had a pair of earphones that fastened to my head by looping around my ears. These would stay on even if you threw yourself down a flight of stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping you aren't in the habit of throwing yourself down the stairs! I have taken your advice and ordered a pair of said device. I have heard mixed reviews about the comfort of these, but figured if they hurt, it will take my mind off the running.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts