Deep Sigh

I think for the first time in my life maybe, I am learning to use things other than food to comfort myself.  And maybe I'm lucky that I don't feel terrible right now, I'm not going through something rough that requires constant soothing.  For me, right now at least, it's the everyday little irritants or just simply in the changing seasons making me feel a little more tired.  In the past, I would have used junk food to try and lift me, in hopes it would give me a little more happy-energy.  I am happy to say that, besides a few glasses of wine here and there, I haven't really had the desire to turn to food for that, not that food doesn't give a sense of well-being, I would never argue that, just that since I've been eating clean (by my standards) I really don't crave the junk. 
Last night for dinner I improvised a little on my dinner because I really didn't want to have to grind the zuccini to make noodles.  Luckily, when I was at the grocery store, I predicted that might happen once or twice during the week, so I bought a few extra supplies just in case.  Last night's dinner was composed of 3 simple ingredients:
I spiced it up with a little Mexican seasoning and served it with a dash of Taco Bell Mild sauce.  It had a little kick to it, and the spices really made my body get a really awesome buzz!  I love a good food buzz!  After dinner I took the dog out.  He has recently been making the magic happen a lot quicker for me, which makes me so happy!  I really lose my mind when it takes him so long to go, so I have been praising and rewarding him everytime he's efficient.  But honestly, who am I kidding?  He's so stinking adorable I can't stay irritated at him.
After I got in, I was trying to decide if I should do some sort of workout, but my body was screaming for a little bit of down time, something that has been in too short of supply for too long.  So I took a nice hot bath, which isn't too unusual for me this time of year, but as Emeril would say, I 'kicked it up a notch' by turning out the lights, using my beachy-themed flameless candle, sipped a little sweet rose tea from my favorite Seattle mug that is still kicking from my soul-searching solo trip there in 1999, and I didn't allow myself to go on my phone or read, I just focused on unwinding; on NOT doing. 
I gave myself a lymphatic drainage massage to help clear my stuffy sinuses and ear, and just breathed in the humid air, feeling my muscles relax.  And I let out a long, deep sigh.  Man!  That felt just wonderful!  Afterword, I spent a little time snuggling my dog, laughing at Seinfeld reruns and playing a little Angry Birds.  I went to bed early and woke up feeling refreshed.  That alone is priceless, to wake up feeling refreshed.  For the first time, I can forsee the posibility to stop using caffeine as a crutch.  Before I was eating this way I was just too tired all the time to think it would ever be posible to give it up.  I'll admit I still use it as a crutch, and I'm not ready to give it up just yet, but now I know it's posible.
This weekend we are planning a day trip to a local beach that allows dogs.  It is on Lake Michigan, where the water is already wicked-cold so we won't be swimming, but it will still be nice to get out and see a few sights.  The best part of bringing the dog is, we won't be tempted to go to some greasy restaurant because he's not the type of dog who can just be left to sit alone in a car, he barks at everything!  Not that I can't have that kind of food if I really want to (or have a salad) but not having to think about it makes it that much easier.  I will have protein bars and nuts along to help keep me satisfied. 
Well, we made it to another Friday!  Hope you had a great day.  Don't forget to pamper yourself this weekend!



Comments

Popular Posts