Woman on a Mission

Ah, Monday has a feel to it, doesn't it?  I have gone through love-hate relationships with Monday, and right now I just chalk them up to getting past the necessary evil.  I go into work later on Mondays, because we are open later.  Today I was feeling a little "sinusy" and a little off, I had to take my son to a dr appointment before work and my husband was home for a change so my personal time I usually get on Mondays was nonexistent.  I was looking forward to seeing Elliot and asking how his weekend went.  But he (or someone else) must have come super early and I missed him.  Part of me was glad, I wasn't in the most charming place, felt a little too wired from the sinus medicine I took.  
The weekend for me, was just what I expected, tons of homework and exam prep.  But on Sunday my husband convinced me to let the housework go and skip town for the day, to our beautiful Door Peninsula just an hour north of Green Bay.  It is so charming, quaint little shops, breathtaking scenery of Lake Michigan and the bay of Green Bay, cliffs, woods, vineyards left and right.  It feels like another world.  I'll be honest, as charming as it is, I am not as drawn to it as my husband.  He loves water, I love trees and animals.  And, I don't like spending so much of my Sunday away because that means things aren't getting done at home.  One of my husband's favorite stops is in a state park with a tall tower (75 feet I think).  It's a lot of steep stairs and once you've been to the top once, it seems silly to keep going up every few weekends.  I had usually opted to stay on the ground, certain that all those stairs would kill my knee, but this time I went up,  I had to stop before reaching the top to catch my breath.  But I made it up without any knee pain.  Then the down.  Halfway down my opposite knee (the one I didn't have surgery on) started hurting.  It was a reminder that I need to keep pushing.  I ate squeaky clean all day, I brought cheese sticks and Greek yogurt with me.  We got home just after 7pm and I surprised my husband with a bottle of apple wine from one of the peninsula vineyards. We had a glass together and it felt like I was on vacation.  
Tonight when I got home from work, I decided to go for a walk and my husband said he wanted to go with me.  I always get a little disappointed when he comes because it takes away the cleansing, cathartic feeling for me, and turns it into his thing, him talking and talking and talking about himself.  He'd an only child.  I don't think he realizes that my walks are a way of having a little time to myself to remember who I am.  I don't want to hurt his feelings but at some point I may say something.  At any rate, I had a lot of energy so I set the pace and I think I made him walk faster and farther than he wanted.  I felt good when it was over, refreshed and revitalized and I'm glad I got the chance to do it.  This feels so easy right now, I'm really grateful for that!  Every time I get off sugar I feel like things fall into place.  I'm lucky I have this in my back pocket, it works as a nice sort of "reset" button for me.  A month ago I was spending money every morning on junk-pastry, candy, chips.  Now I'm eating hummus wraps and salads and I don't crave the junk.  I'm a woman on a mission!  Look out ahead!

Comments

Popular Posts